Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Asap Help (Sorry)

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Blank03

Blank03

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

Good day ladies and gentlemen. 
I just need some help in regards with how things goes here.
So here is my recent post:

https://www.cheresou...amics-question/

as well as the reply by our sir Admin. 
I apologize if you see it as if I haven't done my solution, but I had put my solution here, the handwritten one.
the first picture on the other hand is the question and a solution as well, but the solution is really GENERAL and is not really detailed. so as a simple practice, but with guidance, i tried solving the minute details. 

please let me know if the problem raised by Sir Admin is about my calculation itself, or the fact that you cant see the picture I have posted. PLEASE HELP ME. I NEVER REALLY DONE SUCH THING AS BEING SO DEPENDENT OVER SOLUTIONS OF OTHERS.
ever since, I WORK ALONE. AS YOU CAN SEE, IF I AM REALLY DEPENDENT ON OTHERS, WHY WOULD I ASK HERE WHEN I CAN ASK SOMEONE AND COPY HIS/HER SOLUTION. 
I just feel this disappointment over myself.

I feel humiliated. 

if my solution is actually like that, then I APOLOGIZE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

but let me give you the assurance that I SOLVE IT ON MY OWN, as a matter of fact, my solution is entirely wrong, because I am getting a different answer. 

I APOLOGIZE for everything. I AM SORRY.

#2 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

Probably you have heard about Tesla, Bell, Ford, Edison, Einstein...but if you are like the majority of the population, you have not heard about Haber and Bosch despite that half of the nitrogen in the proteins of your body were fixed by the process they developed.

At the beginning of the 20th century, famines were a common occurrence in the world. The pupulation stood at 1500 millions. Natural nitrogen fixation from air was the limit regarding food production. This was until Haber and Bosch developed the synthetic ammonia process. That barrier was then broken. Now 5500 out of 7500 million people are alive and feeding every day thanks to them.

However, the public recognition is nill. The same happened to people that developed most of the chemical processes (ethylene, refineries, polymers for the lcd screens you are looking at, etc, etc)

As a process engineer, I cannot explain what I do even to my wife. If you are a carpenter, you can. If you are a lawyer there are many Hollywood movies that explain what you (ideally) do. Mechanical or naval engineering is easy to imagine. Troubleshooting the flooding of a distillation column... don't waste your time explaining that to an accountant.

Even in process intensive companies, not many recognize what chemical engineers do unless you have chemical engineers as managers. If you have an Economist, forget about your job being understood or valued.

Chemical Engineering is a kind of stoic profession. It is about doing the job right without expecting public (or private) recognition. This is the trait you have to develop if you want to pursue a career in Chemical Engineering (they don't tell you this in college).

While not an elite troop profession, still it is not a career to tell others that you feel humilliated or dissapointed. If they don't even know what you do, the will care less about how you feel.

However, in Cheresources, you have a wonderful community of process and chemical engineers that are willing to help. Because of the professional characteristics I mentioned above, they mostly don't care about your feelings (I don't either). They care about the job being done right. And that is a good thing, you wan  designs that work.

My (short) experience here is that nobody force you to stay, nobody demand a quota of participation and nobody force you to go out. But if you come, you are welcome. And if you login, check what others are asking and you try to offer your help, you are even more welcome.

As a side: check my answer on your original post. I think you missed the term gc that (as I understand) is

1 BTU = 25037 (pound (ft^2)) / (s^2) =

Edited by Saml, 17 June 2018 - 10:12 AM.