Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Throttling In Between Pumps In Series

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:50 PM

Dears,

Is there any reason to have a letdown control valve at the discharge of booster pumps feeding shipping pumps?

I'm asking because I've seen a system to load tankers that has such configuration. The operation philosophy of that system is to keep the booster pumps running irrespective of the demand while the number of operating shipping pumps is dependent on the demand.

Regards,

#2 Rahimzadeh

Rahimzadeh

Gold Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:53 AM

Dear:

By throttling valve the booster pump discharge pressure will be adjusted and automatically regulate the booster pump as flow demand.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

Is there any reason to have a letdown control valve at the discharge of booster pumps feeding shipping pumps?

I'm asking because I've seen a system to load tankers that has such configuration. The operation philosophy of that system is to keep the booster pumps running irrespective of the demand while the number of operating shipping pumps is dependent on the demand.

Vegeta,

The booster pumps is mostly due to provision of adequate NPSH for shipping pumps. Hence letdown control valve is rightly applied between booster and shipping pumps to provide a fixed NPSH for shipping pumps irrespective of shipping demand.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

Doesn't look like good engineering practice to me.

Bobby