Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design Pressure For Low Pressure Vessel

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Alex1

Alex1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:55 AM

Dear all,

I'm trying to find information about design of low pressure vessel. 
Actually, I develop a pressure vessel at very low operating pressure (less than 200mbarg).
I would like to know is there is special codes or norms which described design aspect for this low presure vessel.
More specifically, which margins shall be applied to define the design pressure of the vessel (and so the set pressure of relief device...) according to maximum operating pressure.

Thank you 

Alex

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

How large is this vessel? That makes all the difference.

Bobby

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

Alex:

You really should be specific about what you mean by "low" pressure vessel.  In the USA any vessel operating over 15 psig (1 atmosphere gauge) IS a pressure vessel - and that pressure vessel should be designed according to ASME Section VIII - regardless of whether the "low" pressure is defined as 16 psig, 100 psig, 1,000 psig, or higher.  Therefore, the answer to your question is to design the vessel according to the pressure code existing in France (that is probably equivalent to the ASME Section VIII.  I am sure the same applies there as it does here.

In France, I believe you are under CODAP or The RCC-M, “Règles de Conception et de Construction des Matériels Mècaniques des Ilots Nucléaires PWR”.  Either, I believe follow the same scope as ASME.  When I managed some projects in Europe some years back, I was subjected to CODAP and I remember its scope was similar to ASME's.

If not, let us know.