Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reactive Flash Drum

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chemical_teo

chemical_teo

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:05 AM

Hi all, 

I have a conceptual question on something I have seen in my separation lecture. Indeed, we saw what a Flash Drum is and how to calculate the vapour or liquid flow rates or the liquid / vapour composition of each component of a system made up of two components. This is relatively easy since we only have do to a material balance and assume Raoult's law. 

However, I saw somewhere that there were reactive flash (which we didn't mention yet in the lecture).

Basically, imagine we have two initial component A and B with molar fraction z_A and z_B in the feed (flow rate of the feed = F [mol/h]). Then, a reaction happens to form C and D. Let's suppose there is still some A and B left since the reaction is not complete. So, in the end we will get 4 species in the vapour phase (y_A, y_B, ...) and 4 species in the liquid phase (x_A, x_B, ...). 

If I perform a material balance I get: F*z_i = L*x_i + V*y_i (as a non-reactive flash?!!) i = A, B, C and D. Assuming ideality, y_i = K_i * x_i . However, since I initially don't have any C (or D), z_C (or z_D) = 0. This would mean that x_C and y_C would be equal to 0. This obviously makes no sense...

Where is my mistake? 

Thanks

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

I think your mistake is trying to apply the same non-reactive material balance equation to a reactive system. Remember that the material balance equations are merely expressions of that fundamental law "the law of conservation of matter."

In a non-reactive system, I can treat A separate from B. I can say that the amount of A I get at the various outputs of the process must be the same as the amount of A I initially put into the process. In a reactive system, the amount of A at the outputs will not be the same as the amount of A I put in. I cannot really know how much A I will get out without also knowing how much B I put in, and knowing something about reaction rates and/or equilibrium constants and other properties of the reactive system. However, back to the fundamental law of conservation of matter, I can still say that the amount of A, B, C, and D at the outputs must be the same as the A and B I put in. The mathematics are necessarily more complex, because I need to know how the quantities of A, B, C, and D are interrelated, but the fundamental principle still applies.

#3 chemical_teo

chemical_teo

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

Thank you very much. However, if we take a strong assumption saying that the reaction is assumed to reach equilibrium instantaneously, we could simply say we directly have A, B, C and D in the feed (taking the equilibrium molar fraction) and treat it as a classical flash drum? 

#4 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:38 PM

I do believe that would work.