Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Column Chromatography

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 koraltptp

koraltptp

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hi All,
First time, I will do Column Chromatography for eluting Acrylonitrile from its inhibitor MeHQ.  I have some questions coming to my mind to be sure I do this correctly.

I will use activated alumina as the stationary phase, and pour a slurry of Alumina in column.  Then,  Let’s say I have a solution of 10 g Acrylonitrile in 50 ml solvent.  I pour the solution in column, and open the valve, and let some solution to flow down.  Simultaneously, I will add more solvent from top, and continue to collect liquid from bottom.

- Should I finish this process until no solvent remains in stationary phase?
- or Should I leave some solvent covering the stationary phase?
- After this process, can I collect %100 of the 10 gr Acrylonitrile at bottom, or will be any loss in stationary phase?

As I guess, if I leave some solvent with stationary phase, there will be some amount of Acrylonitrile dissolved in the solvent there.  So, this can cause a small fraction of Acrylonitrile loss.

- If I let all the solvent to flow out (no liquid remains in the stationary phase), will any MeHQ inhibitor flow out with solvent? ....or does MeHQ always sticks to the Alumina in column?

I would appreciate your answers.

Regards.