Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Modelling And Designing Of Heat Exchanger For Heat Recovery From Waste

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 anold mlokozi

anold mlokozi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Hello guys

I am new in this forum, and a chemical and processing engineering student at the University of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania.

I have been assigned a project of modelling and designing heat exchangers for heat recovery from a waste combustion system.

For the modelling part, I am planning to use Excel spreadsheets.
For designing, I am planning on a shell and tube heat exchanger.
If there is anyone who is experienced in this kind of project, please help me with some guidance on where to start and supply some reference materials that will be of great help.

thank you

alk

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

I 've attached literature to support your work .

You should also consider the search engine in this forum .

Note :I remember someone shared his work on designing HX a few years ago ( top right  near FB window).

good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 18 January 2019 - 03:06 AM.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

anold mlokozi:

Besides the excellent material and reference articles that Breizh has so kindly contributed to your effort, I would also recommend that you read and study the following text books:

• Donald Kern, "Process Heat Transfer"; 1950.  This book is not available since it is not published anymore - but it stands as a classic in presenting the methodology and engineering design of heat exchangers.  You may be able to obtain a copy in your local library or through the internet.
  • A. Kayode Coker, "Ludwig's Applied Process Design for Chemical and Petrochemical Plants - Volume 3", 4th Edition, Elsevier Publishing.

I have personally read, reviewed, and studied Dr. Coker's excellent and detailed description of heat exchanger design and highly praise his efforts and work in this field.  I consider him a very personal friend and a person that I admire and respect for his diligent and thorough work in the Chemical Engineering field.  I am sure that you may be able to obtain this volume through your technical library in Dar es Salaam or request it elsewhere.  I am certain that your university instructors surely know of Dr. Coker and can probably help you obtain a copy of his work in this area of heat transfer in heat exchangers.

I hope this guides you in the right direction towards a successful end to your assignment.  Good luck.