Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Max Flammable Liquids Volume Stored In One Tank Farm

11 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 duongbq

duongbq

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:08 PM

Hi  Everybody

Some book says that except for a single tank, the maximum total aggregate volume of flammable liquids stored

within any one compound shall be 60 000 m3 where any tank has a fixed roof, or 120 000 m3 where only floating-roof tanks are used.

But due to demand of Client and limited land area, we need to design one tank-farm that has capacity bigger than 120 000 m3. Please show me which solution allows this larger

Thanks and Regards,

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:47 PM

I thought this would depend on the local regulations or any particular international standard the clients would like to follow.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Hi,

Probably good to talk with your safety bureau and/or Fire brigade.

Check Codes and Regulation applying to the country where the project is located

note: A few pointers in this presentation 

http://www.sfpemetro...ge-Workbook.pdf

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 19 April 2019 - 01:30 AM.

#4 duongbq

duongbq

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:23 AM

The local code requires tank-farm volume is not bigger than 120.000 m3 but the local government will reconsider if we can show which international standards allow tank-farm volume is more than 120,000 m3.

Can you tell me which standard?

Tks,

#5 duongbq

duongbq

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:30 AM

Breizh:

Thanks your reply!

I have seen NFPA 30 but do not see any section says about the total volume of the tank-farm. Could you show me more detail!

Thanks so much!

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:47 AM

Hi ,

Sorry I don't have such documents on hands .

Let you check for NFPA 30 , the relevant GB code and may be OHSA  using your favorite search engine .

Others will support .

Breizh  

#7 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:48 AM

To quote Singapore Standard 532 for Storage of Flammable Liquids.

"Total storage per compound
Except for a single tank in a compound, the total aggregate volume of Category 1, 2 or 3 liquids that may be stored within any one compound can be stored up to 80,000 m3 where any tank has a fixed roof or 120,000 m3 where only floating-roof tanks are used.
Except for a single tank in a compound, the total aggregate volume of Category 4 liquids that may be stored within one compound shall not exceed 180,000 m3."

Would it be better to have multiple compounds to meet the requirements?

#8 duongbq

duongbq

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thanks so much

Tank farm in this project for Gasoline and Diesel, which way to increase volume up to 160.000 m3?

#9 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

Perhaps you can try put all the gasoline in one compound and all the diesel in another compound.

A flammable liquid is classified in one of the following four categories in accordance with the United
Nations Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS):
Category 1: A liquid having a flash point < 23 °C and initial boiling point ≤ 35 °C.
Category 2: A liquid having a flash point < 23 °C and initial boiling point > 35 °C.
Category 3: A liquid having a flash point ≥ 23 °C and ≤ 60 °C.
Category 4: A liquid having a flash point > 60 °C and ≤ 93 °C.
For Category 3 and 4, if the storage temperature reaches 6 °C below their flash points, the hazard
posed by such products can be similar to that of the products under Category 2. Hence, it shall
comply with the requirements of Category 2.

I think the main point here is that, unless you can find any regulation or standard that can justify a larger volume in a single compound, then you have to let the client know that they have to comply with the local regulations if they want to work in the country.

If something cannot be done reasonably, just explain to the client tactfully why it cannot be done. Just because they want it that way doesn't mean they can always get it that way.

I don't think there are any standards that allow storage volumes as large as what the client wants. Even if you could find one, it would be another uphill battle to convince the government to allow an exception specifically, only for your client based on a standard developed in another country.

Certain engineering related items can be engineered to work. A country's regulations normally not so. Let the client know that certain requests such as asking how to deviate from the country's rules and regulations is considered unreasonable.

You should always follow the country's rules and regulations.

Edited by thorium90, 19 April 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#10 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:45 PM

hi,

https://www.osha.gov...table=standards

You may use the search engine on this site to support your query . 

you should  contact your relevant authority and fire brigade to get answer.

Good luck

Breizh

#11 malikmansoob

malikmansoob

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Dear, you should go with fixed roof design for tanks farm. The external floating roof can leak and can bleed the according to the mishandling.

#12 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:53 AM

Hi ,

https://cedrec.com/c.../hsg/hsg176.pdf

You may find this book or refer to the point 142 where it's explicitly mentionned a total capacity,in a bund ,of 120 000 m3 for floating roofs and 60 000 m3 ( i guess ) for fixed roofs . 

reference UK 

Good luck, 

Breizh