Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Specific Heat Capacity

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ChrisHughes

ChrisHughes

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

Hello,

We have calculated heat transfer for both the heating and process fluid, the heat loss in the system, and the heat flux. However, we have used the specific heat values as interpolated from steam tables which is linear. I have been asked to calculate them from the actual data we have but I am not sure what to do to get the values.

I have attached the data we have and would appreciate some help. 

Chris

Attached Files

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

Hi ,

We don't know what you expect from us ! We don't do homework but we will support if you explain a little bit .

Provide a sketch with all the references (temperature , pressure , flows ) . Add  your heat and mass balances .

If you write down the equations  you will probably find out the answers.

Good luck.

Breizh

#3 ChrisHughes

ChrisHughes

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:13 AM

Hi ,

We don't know what you expect from us ! We don't do homework but we will support if you explain a little bit .

Provide a sketch with all the references (temperature , pressure , flows ) . Add  your heat and mass balances .

If you write down the equations  you will probably find out the answers.

Good luck.

Breizh

I am working on a thermosiphon reboiler rig and calculated the heat transfer and heat losses, but used the specific heat values for steam and water from steam tables.

My demonstrator said I should calculate them from the data because there will be a difference compared to assuming linearity, but I don't know how to calculate specific heat from the data I have. 

I know the equation is Q = m c delta T, but I have no idea what to use to get to c.

I have calculated everything using linear c, but I have no idea how to get it from data such as that which I have attached in this message. 

Attached Files

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:07 AM

Hi ,

help us we will help you !

Provide a sketch with the location of the temperature probes , the flow rate .

Breizh