Jump to content

Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog


Unit Conversion

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ChrisHughes


    Junior Member

  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:15 AM



Natural Gas from the mass balance is in kg/hr, but I need to convert it to metres cubed at STP (reference not given).


How do I do this?

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

    Gold Member

  • Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

It's not possible without knowing the molecular weight.



#3 MrShorty


    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

In my experience with the gas industry, it seems that -- at STP (whatever that is) -- they just assume ideal gas at STP to convert from mass to volume. As Bobby indicates, this means first converting from mass to mole, but should otherwise be a straightforward calculation. Can we assume you are familiar with the ideal gas law (or other preferred EOS if your group doesn't want to assume ideal gas)?

#4 breizh


    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:25 AM


Define the standard condition , get the composition of your gas to calculate its molecular weight .

-If you assume its an ideal gas (Z=1)  , calculate the density thus the volumetric flowrate .

-You may want to use an EOS to calculate Z , then the density ,etc .






my 2 cents


Edited by breizh, 20 November 2019 - 09:09 AM.

Similar Topics