Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flare Gas Recovery

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

Hello.

I am working for an engineering consulting company. One of our clients (offshore) wants to recover flare gas (for reducing CO2 emissions) without installing an FGRS (no compressor, ejector, blower, fan or any other equipment to compress the gas). The recovered gas stream would be re-injected into the main process stream (reception facilities) which is operating around 0,5 - 2 barg. For this, it is necessary to increase the normal backpressure of both HP/LP systems (headers, KOD).

I understand that an extensive evaluation of all the sources is required as this could impact the mechanical integrity of the equipment on potential overpressure scenarios. In the same vein, it is necessary to perform an evaluation of every single relief device installed, the pressure of continuous sources, etc.

Such a strategy could affect the reliability of the recovering operation as there is not, from my point of view, operational flexibility (the frequency of flaring due to potential relief/blowdown scenarios could be high as there will be less volume available to accommodate more gas).

My question is the following: Beyond the necessary evaluation I am briefly (poorly) describing above, I want to know in such a strategy targets process safety.

Do you think that having this volume of gas (HC) always floating in the headers violates a fundamental principle of the flare system (ultimate protection layer)?