Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fin Fan Relief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 afd

afd

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

We are having finfan coolers which are forced draft in operation. We as operators recently observed that the top of the plenum chamber but below the tube sheet there are openings provided on the sides(10cm*8cm)and three on each side. These are there right from the installation and are wasting the air by bypassing the tubes.

We asked the mechanical about their purpose: they said that it is in the design and are for safety purpose to prevent pressure build up.Another answer was as they r on the periphery they are to remove the dust.Finally, they have sent a message to the vendor to ask the purpose of the opening

My query is do fin fan coolers come with any pressure relief on the air side? Have anyone seen such openings on fin fan coolers?

Afd

#2 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (afd @ Oct 17 2006, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My query is do fin fan coolers come with any pressure relief on the air side? Have anyone seen such openings on fin fan coolers?

Afd

It is strange, if it is so. I have never came across.
How can air side be pressurized? It is open !!!

I'm looking for other's reply.

#3 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

I agree that these holes are not commonly used in air cooled heat exchangers.

The explanation that the holes are there for pressure relief is clearly nonsense. Even if the air flow could be totally blocked (which is extremely unlikely as pointed out by Nirav), the pressure build-up would be very low.

The explanation that the holes are there for dust removal also doesn't look very convincing.

Maybe the maximum cooling duty appeared to be too high (resulting in too low exit temperatures) and therefore someone decided to make the holes so that some of the cooling air bypasses the tube bundles?

Could you explain what service the air coolers are in? In other words, what are you cooling?

#4 afd

afd

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for the replies

I have now observed that the openings have been closed on the air side.