Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv And Tsv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Amandeep Bhanu_*

Guest_Amandeep Bhanu_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

What is the difference between a TSV(temp. safety valve) and PSV(pressure safety valve)? Although their construction are allmost same how the nomenclature is made?

#2 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Can you tell us in what way you found the terminology used? For instance, were you reading something that discussed relief of a fluid due to increased temperature and they called that a thermal relief valve?

I hate the term temperature safety valve, especially when you notice that the two valves are constructed in much the same way. In reality, relief is due to pressure, not temperature. Temperature may be the cause of the pressure increase but pressure is what causes these valves to open. I think using the term temperature safety valve to describe these type of pressure relief devices is just plain wrong.

A lot of confusion results from the definition of a relief valve and a safety valve as defined by API RP520:

"A safety valve is a spring loaded pressure relief valve actuated by the static pressure upstream of the valve and characterized by rapid opening or pop action. A safety valve is normally used with compressible fluids."

"A relief valve is a spring loaded pressure relief valve actuated by the static pressure upstream of the valve. The valve opens normally in proportion to the pressure increase over the opening pressure. A relief valve is used primarily with incompressible fluids."

Even though they are defined differently by API, we in industry typically use these terms interchangeably or we might just call them pressure relief valves.

#3 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

Hello amandeep,

There could be nothing like "temperature safety valve" (TSV) in technical terminologies in books or API recommended practices. However, I have seen this terminology many times being used in industry, just to differentiate relatively small valves which are provided in following specific applications.

[1] Outlet of cooling water side on heat exchanger : To prevent over-pressure due to heating of water when it is blocked in.
[2] Outlet of cooling water side of seal coolers of pumps, lube oil coolers of compressor etc with the same purpose as above.
[3] Outlet of cold side of process-process heat exchanger : To prevent over-pressure due to heating of cold fluid when it is blocked in.

The size of such valves, in most cases, is very small (3/4"x1" for cooling water applications) due to the fact that the required relieving rate is small. Because it is the "liquid expansion" due to heating of cold side fluid when blocked in.

The reason for them to be termed as "TSV" is that their requirement against high temperature expansion of liquid. When you have list of all safety valves in a typical refinery process unit, you can easily identify them with tag number starting with "TSV" rather than "PRV" or "PSV". It is based on numbering "philosophy" of a refinery.

From technical & fundamental point of view, there is NO difference. It is just the difference in naming them.

I hope it helps.
Warm regards,

#4 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:01 AM

One clarification to what Nirav's states, "The reason for them to be termed as "TSV" is that their requirement against high temperature expansion of liquid."

Thermal expansion of a liquid in NOT high temperature. Only a few degrees increase of a cold liquid will cause a huge increase in pressure in a liquid filled and fully closed system. Take out the word "high".

And I will repeat what I said, the term "TSV" should not be used, period. It is very misleading as you are seeing and rightly questioning.

#5 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

pleckner:

I fully agree that pressure build up is very high in liquid tight system, even with slight expansion of liquid due to temperature (I do not use "high" now!!). When I said "high", it was relative to normal temperature.

Thank you for pointing that out. It clarifies everything.

Phil, you hate the term "TSV" and suggest to not use it. I do not deny it. I'm also trying to not "promote" the use of the term "TSV". But sometimes, we have to follow what we have been asked to follow as per owner's naming procedures.

It might be misleading to one who is not used to this kind of naming. However, in a refinery or any process complex, if it has been long followed; people (Operation & maintenance staff) are used to it, and well aware about it within the refinery. So, if i'm a process engineer from a consultant firm, i have to follow the owner's preferences. I have used it in certain projects as per requirement.

It might be misleading to outside personnel. But it might be very helpful to owner's personnel due to following.

[1] When a PSV has been termed TSV, it immediately implies that the relieving scenario is "liquid expansion due to temperature". Further, >90% of such PSV are located on cooling water outlet side of heat exchanger.
[2] Indirectly, it creates "standardization" within specific process complex. For example, as I said before for cooling water, they are 3/4" x 1" in size, with "nominal" required rate of relieving, and many of them are with set pressure equal to design pressure of cooling water system.

SUMMARY : The term "TSV" should not be used "in general". However, based on owner's preferences, it is followed in certain "specifc cases".

Warm regards,