Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fluidizing Gas - O2 Free

#pyrolysis fluidizing gas

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Geetanjali

Geetanjali

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I am modelling pyrolysis reactor and I need to supply fluidizing gas to the reactor to ensure proper heat transfer to the feedstock. Pyrolysis reaction should occur in the ABSENCE of oxygen. There are different types of fluidizing gases that once can use  - N2, Helium, Ar, Fluidizing gases (from the process).

I do not want to use expensive gases like N2, He or Ar as they would impact the economics of my process. Also, my process is not making enough fluidizing gases that I can supply internally.

My query is how or from where do I provide an inexpensive fluidizing gas that does not contain oxygen?

Note: I thought of using a fired heater to combust Methane (natural gas) with air and use a design spec in Aspen Plus to ensure the outlet (exhaust) from the combustor does not contain O2. I did that to use this exhaust gas as fluidizing gas to the pyrolysis reactor. It works but I'm not sure if we can use something like this in real world (industry).

I would appreciate if I can get a suggestion on this.

Thank you

Geetanjali

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

Have you considered using steam?

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:00 AM

Hi ,

Why not considering to recycle the N2 ? May be not that expensive . I've seen this kind of operation for drying pharmaceutical products  on a pneumatic dryer .

My 2 cents 

Breizh 

#4 Geetanjali

Geetanjali

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:56 AM

@ Member - Thank you for your comment. Steam will not be appropriate for my process as it will give off oxygen and I want my process to be running without oxygen. (Steam will be most suitable for gasification processes). 

@Breizh

Thank you for your suggestion. I am designing a process of 250 - 500 tpd capacity. Recycling N2 will still be expensive (I think) and have seen in the internet some of the commercial scale pyrolysis plants using N2 have not been successful in the long run.

Was just curious if my approach to not have any oxygen from the exhaust of fired heater makes sense in the real world. I was reading yesterday and found we should give a 'minimum excess air' in the fired heater to ensure complete combustion of the methane (natural gas).