Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ipa Simulation (Reactive Destillation)-Hysys

hysys. reactive destillation

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gasmonkey

gasmonkey

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the production of isopropyl alcohol using a reactive destillation column in Aspen Hysys. I have readed tons of academic papers on the subject but I am stuck since there is no paper with a step by step guide. I am trying to replicate this one.  I have readed that in order to implement a reactive destillation column in hysys you have to divide the column into sections, Can you do that in the internals tab?. And if so how do you implement in the reactive zone an amberlyst catalyst (since i have the kinetic data). Thanks for your time. And sorry for my english 

Attached Files

#2 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:31 AM

Define a reaction set, and then assign those reactios to particular trays in the column, on the reactions tab.

#3 gasmonkey

gasmonkey

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:04 AM

Define a reaction set, and then assign those reactios to particular trays in the column, on the reactions tab.

Thank you for your response. I have already done that and also I am using the Simultaneous correction solver. But it doesn´t converge. I have sucefully implemented the problen in Aspen Plus with the Radfrac unit but my profresor want it on Hysys. But it is mision imposible

#4 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for your response. I have already done that and also I am using the Simultaneous correction solver. But it doesn´t converge. I have sucefully implemented the problen in Aspen Plus with the Radfrac unit but my profresor want it on Hysys. But it is mision imposible

Most people are going to use A+ for this, even there reactive columns can be tricky to converge and the hysys plus column is less reliable than the A+ column for most things.  With Hysys it really helps to give good estimates of top and bottom tray temperatures otherwise it often fails on even simple problems.

Edited by SilverShaded, 20 January 2022 - 12:34 PM.

#5 gasmonkey

gasmonkey

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:37 PM

Most people are going to use A+ for this, even there reactive columns can be tricky to converge and the hysys plus column is less reliable than the A+ column for most things.  With Hysys it really helps to give good estimates of top and bottom tray temperatures otherwise it often fails on even simple problems.

Okey. Do you have any book that explain step by step how to implement a reative destillation in Hysys?

#6 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:48 AM

Okey. Do you have any book that explain step by step how to implement a reative destillation in Hysys?

No i dont, and there are no working examples in the samples folder.  Test your reactions are working in a normal reactor model first before adding them the column.