Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Manifolding Relief Valve Discharges

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

I have a vendor-provided CO2 skid (liquid storage with vaporizer to provide gas) that has several relief valves. Since the unit will be located indoors, I need to route the relief discharges to a safe location outdoors, and I would like to manifold the discharges to a common header to minimize pipe routing hassles. I have a fairly good understanding of superimposed and built-up backpressure and how they affect the design of relief systems in general. The trouble I am having here is that these reliefs are conventional reliefs, so superimposed backpressure will have an effect on their set pressure.

ASME, API, and others all say that you need to give "careful consideration" to the effect of superimposed backpressure on relief valve operation to ensure that the operation of the valve is not "adversely affected." However, I can't find any good information on what "careful consideration" consists of and at what point the valve is "adversely affected." If the setpoint will be "adversely affected" then a conventional relief valve should not be used. That's easy enough if the whole system were mine, but the releifs are part of vendor skid (already supplied).

Here is what I am thinking, and what I would like input on from the gurus here. If there is a superimposed backpressure, let's say 10 psig for illustration purposes, then the relief will lift 10 psi above its setpont. However, once the relief does lift, the superimposed backpressure acts the same as built-up backpressure. The total backpressure on the valve once it is open is the superimposed backpressure caused by other reliefs in the system plus the backpressure caused by flow through the valve, which all looks the same to the valve.

My thinking is that, as long as the superimposed backpressure does not increase the actual lifting pressure of the valve above the allowed accumulation (assumed to be 10 percent), and that the total backpressure when the valve is relieving is less than 10 percent of the setpoint, then I am ok. As I see it, the valve will, in the end (once the valve is open), operate essentially as if it were all built-up backpressure. My design philosophy would be to design the manifold such that, with the maximum credible relief flow from all valves, the backpressure will be less than 10 percent of the lowest setpoint. What are your thoughts?

For reference, here are the relief setpoints and MAWPs of the vessels served

Setpoint MAWP
450 psig 1000 psig
350 psig 350 psig
357 psig 357 psig <--- safety relief
341 psig 357 psig <--- bleeder relief

Thanks,

Mike

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

"My thinking is that, as long as the superimposed backpressure does not increase the actual lifting pressure of the valve above the allowed accumulation (assumed to be 10 percent), and that the total backpressure when the valve is relieving is less than 10 percent of the setpoint, then I am ok."

No, you are not okay. The PSV on the 350 and 357 psig vessels will open at a pressure > MAWP, which is a violation of Code. The other two vessels will be fine.

Compensation for superimposed back pressure which is CONSTANT may be provided by reducing the set pressure of a conventional relief valve. A balanced bellows is recommended when built-up back pressure is expected to exceed 10% of set pressure.

When superimposed back pressure is VARIABLE a balanced bellows is preferred.

Discussion on a pilot-operated relief valve was omitted.

You'd need to back the setpressure down 10 psig on the PSVs on the 350 and 357 psig vessels. If built-up back pressure is 10% or less, conventional PSVs would be fine.

#3 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

hello,

To me, for any kind of combination in the discharge, you need to analyze mainly 3 aspects.

[1] What's the maximum load in common relief? This is based on the chance(s) of more than one PSV discharging at the same time or single largest discharge.

[2] What's the maximum back pressure on PSV at the time of relief? (superimposed + built up)

Notice that the first point is necessary because, it may vary the "built up" pressure if you consider more than one PSV discharging at the same time. (When PSV under consideration is part of simultaneous discharge).

[3] The calculated back pressure should not go above recommended limits of type of PSV. e.g. 10% of set pressure for 'conventional'.

If above points are met, I don't think you need to bother anything else as far as discharge pressure profile is concerned. Does anyone have more point(s)? In case, if i'm missing..

now, I do NOT agree with following statement from Latexman
No, you are not okay. The PSV on the 350 and 357 psig vessels will open at a pressure > MAWP, which is a violation of Code.

It is not violation of code. Refer to the attached file. It is from API-RP521 and based on ASME Code Sec.VIII.
Set pressure of PSV CAN be equal to MAWP. It can NOT be more than MAWP as per Code.
PSV can operate > MAWP during its discharge because of accumulations. This is allowed within limits as shown in attached file.

Thank you.

#4 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

Nirav,

You have misinterpreted what Latexman said. He said the PSV cannot open at a pressure greater than MAWP by Code and this is correct. He did not say it cannot operate at a pressure greater than MAWP.

I would add to Latexman's response that theoretically, there are times a built up back pressure greater than 10% of PSV set pressure for a conventional PSV is acceptable. A conventional PSV is nothing more than a differential relief device being held opened by a spring. As the pressure against that spring increases, it will tend to force the spring to close. The only thing to keep it opened would be the opposing force of the pressure in the vessel. So, if the over pressure were to be 21% (fire), then yes, the built up back pressue will also be allowed to increase to 21%. This is acceptable practice as stated in API RP520.

Can the conventional PSV still function if this "rule" is violated? Yes to a point. The valve would then have to be derated by a factor. Unfortunately, as the built up back pressure as a percentage of set pressure exceeds the over pressure, a conventional style PSV capacity falls off dramatically. So the only way to stay out of potential trouble would be to head the recommendation to use only balanced bellows PSVs in these situations. This is also why I would never specify a conventional PSV that is tied into a header system or manifolded with other relief devices. There is nothing wrong with going back to the vendor and requesting balanced bellows PSVs.

And just to second Latexman, you can't exceed the MAWP of the vessel, no matter what, period and end-of-story. So if the superimposed back pressure will be variable and the PSV is set at MAWP, then I would not even say a balanced bellows PSV is preferred, I would say it is mandatory.

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

pleckner,

I had to study your second paragraph for a while because I have the 10% overpressure number engrained into my brain due to my company having standardized evaluating inlet and outlet losses at the rated flow at 10% overpressure, even in fire cases. After re-reading your second paragraph 2 or 3 times, it made more sense to me why they did this. Thanks.

#6 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

Phil / Latexman,

Thank you for that clarification on my interpretation. I just misunderstood little on "open" & "operate" part of PSV in Latexman's first response.

In case of conventional valve, due to variation in superimposed back pressure, it MAY "open" at higher pressure than its initial set pressure. Which means set pressure is raised by itself by some amount during actual practice which is definitely NOT permitted. Therefore, in such cases, balanced bellow is must when Set Pr.=MAWP.

Thank you again,

#7 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses. However, I am still not sure I completely agree. I am, of course interested in feedback from the lerned and await appropriate education, as necessary.

Here's what I find in the BPVC:

UG-125©: "All pressure vessels ... shall be protected by a relief device that shall prevent the pressure from rising more than 10% or 3 psi, whichever is greater, above the maximum allowable working pressure ..."

UG-134(a): "... the set pressure marked on the device shall not exceed the maximum allowable working pressure of the vessel." Note the specific wording "set pressure marked on the device" as opposed to actual lifting pressure.

UG-134©: "The pressure relief device set pressure shall include the effects of static head and constant back pressure." Note the specific wording "constant back pressure."

UG-135(f): "The size of the discharge lines shall be such that any pressure that may exist or develop will not reduce the relieving capacity of the pressure relief devices below that required to properly protect the vessel, or adversely affect the proper operation of the pressure relief devices." Not the markedly un-specific wording "adversely affect."

M-7©: "The flow characteristics of the discharge system of ... pressure relief valves in compressible fluid service shall be such that the static pressure developed at he discharge flange of a conventional direct spring loaded valve will not exceed 10% of the set pressure when flowing at stamp capacity."

Here is some of what API RP-521 says:

5.4.1.3.1: "... Where conventional safety relief valves are used, the relief manifold system should be sized to limit the built-up back pressure to approximately 10 percent of the set pressure of each relief valve that may be relieving concurrently. Additionally, the effect of superimposed backpressure from other valves upon the set pressure should be considered." Note the specific wording "limit the built-up backpressure to approximately 10 percent" as opposed to the non-specific wording "the effect of superimposed backpressure ... should be considered."

Now from the Crosby Engineering Handbook:

Page 7-3: "When the superimposed back pressure is variable, the pressure at which the valve opens will change as the back pressure changes. This variation may cause the opening pressure to vary beyond allowable limits. For this reason a balanced valve is generally recommended for applications with superimposed variable backpressure. However, if the superimposed variable back pressure is low and the resulting variation in the opening pressure can be tolerated, then a conventional valve may be used."

So what I see as REQUIRED is this:
- Stamped set pressure must be MAWP or lower
- Stamped set pressure must account for CONSTANT superimposed backpressure
- Relief system must prevent the vessel from exceeding 110% of MAWP considering all built-up and superimposed backpressures under the maximum credible backpressure scenario
- Built-up backpressure must be less than 10% of the stamped set pressure of the valve.

In my opinion, the guidance in the code is unspecific (which is very uncharacteristic for the BPVC) in how to treat variable superimposed back pressure. API RP-521, also typically specific in character, pretty much says that the effects must be "considered." I still think that if the total back pressure under the worst credible scenario is well below 10% of the lowest relief valve set point then the letter and intent of the Code are being met.

For reference, I am considering a manifold that will place about 7 psig backpressure (combined superimposed and built-up) when all four of these reliefs are flowing simultaneously at stamped rated flow.

Ok Phil, tell me what you think.

Thanks again,

Mike

#8 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

There are two issues. The first is the set pressure and the second is the affect of built up back pressure.

Taking the first issue, we alll agree that the set pressure shall not be any higher than the MAWP of the vessel and this is clearly spelled out in ASME. We also agree that for a conventional PSV, if the superimposed back pressure is greater than what the spring was designed for (probably atmospheric in this case), then the valve won't open at set pressure but at set pressure + superimposed back pressure. And I believe your argument Mvancleave is that the latter is OK as long the allowable over pressure within the vessel is never exceeded before, during and after the valve opens.

After going through API RP520 and 521 again for the umpteenth time, I almost came to agree with you until I went through ASME Section VIII, Div 1 again for the umpteenth time. This is what you missed (by the way, I think you may have an older edition of ASME because my copy is 2006 and the wording you quote is not quite the same).

UG-134 PRESSURE SETTING OF PRESSURE RELIEF DEVICES

(a) When a single pressure relief device is used, the set pressure (60) marked on the device shall not exceed
the maximum allowable working pressure of the vessel. ......

The (60) above is really a superscript that refers to a note. And this note reads:

(60) The set pressure is the value of increasing inlet static pressure at
which a pressure relief device displays one of the operational characteristics
as defined by opening pressure, popping pressure, start-to-leak
pressure, burst pressure, or breaking pressure. (The applicable operating
characteristic for a specific device design is specified by the device
Manufacturer.)

Obviously, this note pertains to many types of relief devices, not just to PSVs.

What we see here is that ASME defines what they mean by "set pressure" and the intent is to define the "set pressure" as an opening pressure. It does not appear that the intent of ASME is to separate the concept of set pressure from opening pressure as you seem to be interpreting the readings. Therefore, if you accept this defiition for set pressure, then you must accept the fact that the PSV on the vessel shall not open or begin to open at a pressure greater than MAWP. And, if you manifold the discharges of your conventional PSVs, you will most certainly have the potential to violate the Code.

I won't argue that API RP520 seems to allow this condition to exist but in my opinion, they are allowing you to violate the spirit of ASME if not the letter and this is unaccpetable. And remember, API RP520 is NOT CODE, just a recommended practice. And another thing, the definitions given for "Accumulation" and "Over Pressure" refer to dynamic states, i.e. the PSV is in relief, not static where it is waiting to open. So again, I don't think that if you want to stay within the spirit of ASME, you can adapt the argument of allowing accumulaiton or over pressure to build up before the valve actually starts to relieve.

One last thing on this particular issue, you quote a section from the Crosby Engineeing Handbook. This was lifted from API RP520 and you really should go to the source standard and not rely on a vendor's hand book.

3.3.2 Effects of Superimposed Back Pressure on Pressure Relief Valve Opening

3.3.2.2 .... Balanced spring-loaded or pilot-operated pressure relief valves should
be considered if the superimposed back pressure is variable.
However, if the amount of variable superimposed back pressure
is small, a conventional valve could be used provided:
a. The set pressure has been compensated for any superimposed
back pressure normally present; and
b. The maximum pressure during relief does not exceed the
Code-allowed limits for accumulation in the equipment being
protected.

API uses the word "small" and Crosby seems to use the word "low". I'll go with API and perhaps it has to do with the version they lifted the text from. But I ask you, who defines "small" or "low"? API certainly doesn't! Crosby certainly doesn't! And I don't see it in ASME.

Bottom line, no, you should not design your system the way you intend. Perhaps you can decouple the vessels so that you won't violate the Code for the vessels in question and only manifold the vessels that won't be affected by this.

I don't have time right now to go into issue two but I think I addressed it in my previous post.

#9 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:31 AM

Phil,

Your explanation agrees with my experience and my companies training and practices. Set pressure is the opening pressure with no tailpipe to atmosphere. Opening pressure is when the device opens installed on the vessel and in the worst credible scenario relative to raising the set pressure.

#10 benoyjohn

benoyjohn

Gold Member

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (latexman @ Dec 6 2006, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phil,

Your explanation agrees with my experience and my companies training and practices. Set pressure is the opening pressure with no tailpipe to atmosphere. Opening pressure is when the device opens installed on the vessel and in the worst credible scenario relative to raising the set pressure.

Mike,

I am wondering why you were limiting the manifold backpressure to 7 psig.
You can consider upto 20 psig i.e 10% of (341+14.7) psia and still use a conventional valve?

Regards
Benoy

#11 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

Latexman, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean in your last sentence, "Opening pressure is when the device opens installed on the vessel and in the worst credible scenario relative to raising the set pressure."

In their definiton of set / opening pressure, it doesn't appear that ASME differentiates between a PSV with a tail pipe or not or, discharging to atmosphere or to a header or installed on the user or on a test stand. Also, I wouldn't restrict the definition to just the worst credible scenario (if I am interpreting your sentence correctly). The PSV needs to open at set pressure even if the cause is a scenario with a lower relieving rate. It will just mean the valve will probably chatter for a time because it will be too big for that particular relief scenario.

Benoy, always work in gage pressure when talking about relief set pressures, superimposed and built up back pressures and percentages of set pressure.

And lastely, I think everyone agrees that in general, if you can keep the variable back pressure (define it anyway you want) to within 10% (gage pressure) of the PSV set pressure, then you can use a conventional valve in the system. This addresses issue #2 of this thread.

#12 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

Phil, thanks for yet another great explanation and discussion. As I can still count my trips through the BPVC and RPs on my fingers, I really appreciate your umpteenth trip through. It takes that many times to even come close to understanding all of the requirements and recommendations.

The summary of the situation and my argument that you spell out in you second paragraph is exactly correct, so we can use that as the single thesis for further discussion. There is only one point I would still like to discuss: the intended meaning of “Set Pressure” in UG-125.

First, UG-125 specifically refers to the “set pressure (60) marked on the device” (emphasis added). Second, footnote 60 is lifted verbatim from PTC 25, which, as you know, governs testing and certification of relief valves independent of the vessels they will serve. Section 2.7 lists to following definition:

set pressure: the value of increasing inlet static
pressure at which a pressure relief device displays
one of the operational characteristics as defined
under opening pressure, popping pressure, start to leak
pressure, burst pressure, or breaking pressure.
(The applicable operating characteristic for a specific
device design is specified by the device manufacturer.)

PTC 25 Section 2.7 also lists the following definition:

marked set pressure: the value or values of pressure
marked on a pressure relief device.

I still think that the BPVC is referring to the stamped set pressure, determined by the valve manufacturer, rather than the installed lifting pressure. Further, I think the principal spirit of the code in this case is to ensure that the vessel never exceeds MAWP + allowable overpressure. I do not think that the spirit or letter of the code requires that the actual lifting pressure of the installed relief valve be less than or equal to MAWP, as evidenced by the fact that an allowable tolerance for relief valve set pressures is stated in UG-126(d).

For the record, I do have the 2006 version of the BPVC code, so any inconsistencies with my quotes and your copy of the code are my error. I also understand the relationship between the BPVC, RPs, and vendor handbook, which is why I presented my references in the order in which I did. The reason for quoting the Crosby handbook versus RP-520 is that I flat out missed it in 520. This is the disadvantage of taking fewer than umpteen trips through (yet), and why I appreciate the continuing education I am receiving. If you lived around Seattle, I would buy you a beer or two as tuition!

Once agian, thank you for an engaging discussion, and I eagerly awiat further education.

Mike

#13 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:14 PM

Benoy,

In response to your question "I am wondering why you were limiting the manifold backpressure to 7 psig."

It's a matter of line-size. One size smaller and I am choked at the outlet, which put the backpurssure quite a bit higher. I am only talking about a 4-inch steel pipe, so going smaller isn't going to save much cash anyway.

Phil,

Just to clarify, your comment "And lastely, I think everyone agrees that in general, if you can keep the variable back pressure (define it anyway you want) to within 10% (gage pressure) of the PSV set pressure, then you can use a conventional valve in the system." applies to built-up backpressure (defined as backpressure caused by flow through the valve itself after it lifts) on a single relief, yes? Once we talk about superimposed backpressure and/or manifolding relief discharges, we are back to looking at MAWP versus set pressure and the whole debate this thread has engagned in.

Mike

#14 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

Mike,

You said, "I still think that the BPVC is referring to the stamped set pressure, determined by the valve manufacturer, rather than the installed lifting pressure." First, the valve manufacturer does not set the PSV set pressure, you do. You tell them what you want and that is what they must design to. They put this value onto the stamp, nothing more, and nothing less. And I will go back to what I've said based on ASME definition, the PSV set pressure and the lifting pressure are one and the same. I can't see how one can interpret this any other way. Definition is definition. And, there is nothing that you quoted from PTC 25 that is any different from what ASME states.

Going further, you said, "I do not think that the spirit or letter of the code requires that the actual lifting pressure of the installed relief valve be less than or equal to MAWP, as evidenced by the fact that an allowable tolerance for relief valve set pressures is stated in UG-126(d)." Allowable tolerances are there to take into account that anything built by man, woman or thing is not perfect and therefore cannot be expected to act perfectly. The tolerances are granted by ASME to help manufacturing and to recognize there will be some slop in the function of the relief valve. You are never to use these tolerances within the basis for your design. They are to be considered to be "unmentioned", kept in your back pocket, etc.. Why do you think ASME specifies the testing pressures that they do (130% of design pressure, or MAWP)?

When we talk about "spirit" of the Code rather than the 'letter" of the Code, we now enter the world of interpretation. Then I would say someone needs to write to the ASME committee and ask them how this whole concept should be interpreted. Let them make the decision, not us poor souls trying to do what's right. BUT, they did put something into the Code that is quite explicit and that is the definition I keep going back to. That to me turns this from "spirit" (interpretation) to "letter".

And in your very last post, the answer to your question is yes, we are talking about built up back pressure; I should not have been so general in my response.

#15 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

Phil,

Thanks one last time for taking the time and effort to continue this conversation. I think, at long last, we are done. While I still think there is (arguably) a tiny bit of wiggle room in the letter of the code (the words "marked on the device" in UG-125), I will concede that it is quite small, and engineers shouln't be in the business of taking advantage of possible wiggle room.

Just so you know, even my last post was mostly academic to further clarify my understanding of the issue and that I had already begun doing backpressure calculations for individual discharge lines for each relief.

Thanks,

Mike

#16 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

pleckner,

Set pressure is the pressure the PSV opens on the test bench (no tailpipe and discharge to atmosphere).

The pressure at a PSV discharge flange before the device opens is called superimposed back pressure. An evaluation of the PSV being designed and all other relief devices discharging into the same discharge header must be done to determine the worst credible superimposed back pressure (WCSBP).

Opening pressure = set pressure + WCSBP

That's what I meant.

#17 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Latexman, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Mike, you are welcome and I really enjoyed being part of this discussion! Many more to come I hope.

#18 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Phil,

What about the rest of API RP 520, Section 3.3.2 (you cited 3.3.2.2 previously):

3.3.2 Effects of Superimposed Back Pressure on
Pressure Relief Valve Opening

3.3.2.1 Superimposed back pressure at the outlet of a conventional spring loaded pressure relief valve acts to hold the valve disc closed with a force additive to the spring force. The actual spring setting can be reduced by an amount equal to the superimposed back pressure to compensate for this [see 3.4 for discussion of cold differential test pressure (CDTP)].

3.3.2.2 Balanced pressure relief valves (see 2.2.1.3) utilize a bellows or piston to minimize or eliminate the effect of superimposed back pressure on set pressure. Many pilot operated pressure relief valves have pilots which are vented to atmosphere or are balanced to maintain set pressure in the presence of variable superimposed back pressure. Balanced spring-loaded or pilot-operated pressure relief valves should be considered if the uperimposed back pressure is variable. However, if the amount of variable superimposed back pressure is small, a conventional valve could be used provided:

a. The set pressure has been compensated for any superimposed back pressure normally present; and
b. The maximum pressure during relief does not exceed the Code-allowed limits for accumulation in the equipment being protected.

3.3.2.3 For example, conventional valves are often used when the outlet is piped into a relief header without compensating the set pressures for the superimposed back pressure caused by other relieving devices. This approach can be used provided the allowable accumulation is not exceeded during the release.

Paragraph 3.3.2.3 describes my exact situation and seems to support my original interpretation that, as long as MAWP+allowable overpressure is not exceeded during relief, you are ok.

Once again, what are your thoughts?

Mike

#19 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

Here is another bit of relevant information from Interpretation VII-1-83-28:

Question (1): Ug-134(d) states “The pressure at which any device is set to operate shall include the effect of static head and constant back pressure.” Where relief devices are piped into a relief system, the back pressure can vary. Does “constant back pressure” mean the back pressure, if any, normally maintained in the relief system when no devices have opened?

Reply (1): Yes.

Question (2): If the back pressure varies above the constant back pressure, the pressure in the vessel could exceed the maximum allowable working pressure. Is this acceptable providing that the requirements of UG-135(g) [UG-135(f) in the current version] are satisfied?

Reply (2): Yes.

Question (3): UG-135(g) makes reference to Appendix M and states in part “The size of the discharge lines shall be such that any pressure that may exist or develop will not reduce the relieving capacity of the relieving devices below that required to protect the vessel.” M-7(cool.gif and M-8 make recommendations on the design of relief systems and the consideration of relief devices suitable for high or variable back pressures. Do these provisions require that the relief devices and relief system prevent the pressure form exceeding the limits of UG-125?

Reply (3): Yes.

#20 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Mike,

A whole lot of words that basically mean the same thing.

Ref: Your 5:57 P.M. post.

The only thing 3.3.2.1 talks about is the spring setting for a conventional style PSV should be compensated for the superimposed back pressure. That is exactly what the vendor does to ensure your PSV will open at the designated set pressure. This is also why the PSV will not open at the designated set pressure if the superimposed back pressure is anything other than what you tell the vendor it will be.

3.2.2.2 goes into why you would want to use a bellows or pilot PSV instead of a conventional PSV for this reason. The statement about superimposed back pressure being "small" is one of my problems. Please define "small"? Also, condition 'a' still wants you to compensate the set pressure for superimposed back pressure, doesn't it?

Then there is paragraph 3.2.2.3. where they contradict their own statements / requirements in the previous paragraphs! Based on this, I might as well just design the PSV to open at MAWP + accumulation.

Ref: Your 7:50 P.M. post.

First, these are interpretations from the 1982 edition of the Codes. I don't have these on hand and even if I did, they would no longer be valid. Things are removed, added and changed over the years so I will only go with what I see now. There is no UG-135(g) and UG-135(f) is somewhat different. Even still, it only refers to sizing the discharge piping so that the PSV is not adversely affected. I take that to mean it doesn't affect its opening or ability to protect the vessel.

I have to remind you that API RP520/521 is not Code, just recommended practices (guides) and they are not perfect by any sense of the imagination. So I stick with my original conclusion based on the definition of set pressure given by ASME Section VIII, Division 1, which is Code. And by the way, here is the definition of set pressure from ASME B31.3, CODE for process piping, "Set pressure is the pressure at which the device begins to relieve, e.g., lift pressure of a spring-actuated relief valve, bursting pressure of a rupture disk, or breaking pressure of a breaking pin device." Two different CODE documents from the same organization, but B31.3 says it even better. And, B31.3 refers back to ASME Section VIII, Div 1 for PSVs.

My best suggestion would be to write the ASME committee explaining your situation in detail and be very speicific. Don't use generalities. Let them define/redefine set pressure and see if what you want to do is legal? You may also call your insurance company and ask them. You could call your local municipality officials and ask them, afterall, they are really the final word. Maybe we've all been interpreting "set pressure" wrong all these years. Hey, we're human too, just like the people who write the API RPs. (One problem with the ASME committee, you probably wont' hear back from them until almost retirement; OK, I exaggerate but you can get my point.)

Mike, by your own words, "While I still think there is (arguably) a tiny bit of wiggle room in the letter of the code (the words "marked on the device" in UG-125), I will concede that it is quite small, and engineers shouln't be in the business of taking advantage of possible wiggle room." You're trying real hard to "wiggle". I give you an A+ for trying.

#21 Guest_mvancleave_*

Guest_mvancleave_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Phil,

All very true responses. I am in the process of drafting a letter to the committee, which is what drove me to look in the interpretations to make sure there wasn’t a similar situation already addressed. I’ll let everyone know what the response is.

As I said before, this particular design is already moving forward with separate discharge lines. The only reason I am coming back to this is to ensure I have looked at the whole story from all angles before I present this information to my peers. I have been asked to provide language that addresses this issue for our design guidelines and I want to make sure I fully understand and can defend what I write.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Mike

#22 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

Mike,

First, happy holidays to you and your family as well (and to all of our subscribers).

If possible, can you post the letter you are writing to the committee? At the very least, please post their response when you get it. Remember, you want to ask them if the set pressure is the same as the required opening pressure and if that shall not be greater than MAWP...or something along those lines. I guess we'll all learn together and that is exactly what this forum is all about.