Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Tower Pressure Control

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hirengdesai

hirengdesai

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

dear all,
marry X'ms and happy new year.
i need some help on the tower pressure control for the debutanizer column having total condenser.
among various option for controlling tower pressure, such as hot vapor bypass and flooded condenser type,etc. which one is preferred and why ?
as per my information, flooded type condensers are more preferred.
[[u] do not have the sufficient knowledge on the control philosophy and working of flooded type condenser design.
I request to throw some light on this very important concept(esp on the flooded condenser design)]

Thks in advance.
hiren desai

#2 popay73

popay73

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hi, as far as I know there are 3 ways for tower pressure control of total condensers, and they follow the same principle:by manipulating reflux drum (RD) temperature we control pressure :

1. with cooling water-by decreasing CW we increase T in RD, vapor pressure increases, so
pressure increases

2. flooding condenser: first RD gets filled up, level in condensator increases, so area for
condensation decreses- pressure increases

3. hot vapor bypass around condenser :by opening HVB valve the liqiud from condenser is
not cold enough to condense the stream coming from valve, so remaining vapor will
accumulate in RD and pressure increases

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

Hello hirengdesai,

When having total condensation (100% condensibles) of tower overhead stream, employing flooded condenser pressure control is the best solution - according to many experienced process designers.
Throttling CW flow or introducing hot vapor bypass has some drawbacks, which are discussed in many ChE articles and literature (water-side fouling in condenser, vapor leakage through HVB line etc.). I suggest you to read chapter "Tower pressure control" in N. Lieberman's book "Working guide to process equipment", where it is explained in details how to choose the best method for controlling tower pressure, depending on your actual service. Flooded condenser pressure control has unique hydraulic/mechanical design issues.

Also, I am attaching an article by A. Sloley, which is a general guide for pressure control systems - an algorhytm-type approach for pressure control method selection.

Hydraulic concerns in hot vapor bypass systems are explained in the article "Diagnosing instabilities in the column overhead", by H. Kister.

#4 hirengdesai

hirengdesai

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

dear zauberberg and popay,

thks a lot for the reply.

Sadly, I am still not clear on the typical installation of this type of arrangement.

warm regards,
hiren desai.

#5 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hirengdesai,

Please try to find the literature I mentioned in my previous post.
Your company's library should have Lieberman's books - they are all 100% classic. You may also search for G. Shinskey's book, "Distillation control".

Best regards.