Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Venting Of Flammables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 krspoon

krspoon

Brand New Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:55 PM

I need some experienced advice. I am designing a system to vent a gas stream that contains hexane @ 9.4%. The UFL for hexane is 7%. We would like to burn this stream in a steam boiler. NFPA 69 recommends adding 25% natural gas or methane to "over-enrich" the stream.

My questions are... Is this an acceptable method for handling this stream? What other items do I need to consider... instruments, piping design, flame arrestors, etc.

Thanks

#2 Guest_Ben Thayer_*

Guest_Ben Thayer_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:12 PM

You should consider what the value of this stream is first of all since it may not be worth the hassle. Keeping above the UFL is acceptable but you may need quite a bit of instrumentation to ensure it stays that way.

Items that come to mind:

What % is this stream compared to the total steam boiler?
What is the remainder of the gas stream? Nitrogen? I'm curious why you don't already have a risk if you need to add the methane?
Did you mean to say that LFL is 7% since you are already above the UFL or are you trying to "over-enrich" even more? How far above the UFL do you need to achieve? What factor of the UFL will your ESH group require?
How are you going to measure/predict its flow so that you can ratio in the natural gas?
What do you do if the steam boiler trips off-line and you need to vent?

Flame arrestors? You bet.