Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Relief Valve Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 narseille

narseille

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:51 AM

Dear All,

Could you please share with me the most suitable (simplest/basic) formula that I can use to size a relief valve for the following applications:

(i) low pressure steam (1 - 2 bar)
(ii) nitrogen/inert gas (5 - 15 bar).

Appreciate your help.

Rgds,
Narseille de Gebeng

#2 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:35 PM

The answer to your question could turn into a book!!

If you are inexperienced in relief valve sizing, you shouldn't be doing it. It must be left up to those who are experienced in this work. I don't have a problem with the inexperienced getting into this work but only as long as there is an experience mentor close by.

You should first start with the latest copy of API RP520 (this will require a purchase from API). You can also get a hold of any relief vendor's catalog, and these will be free. Try Farris, owned by Curtis-Wright or Crosby or Consolodated; to mention a few.

Are the formulas simple? For your system yes. Do you need to understand them? Absolutely!!!

#3 Guest_Ben Thayer_*

Guest_Ben Thayer_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:42 PM

You may try some of the websites for the various manufacturers. I agree completely with Mr. Pleckner in that you need to work with someone who is experienced. But the way we all gain experience is by doing. Just grinding out the math is the easy part. Knowing what to apply and when is the difficult part.

If you do the calculations, these must be reviewed with someone who is familar with the design.

Some of the engineering formulas can be found at:

http://www.tycovalve...OMC-0296-US.pdf

This is for the engineering documentation for Crosby/Anderson Greenwood. This is not an endorsement of their products but I have purchased many from them as well as others.