Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vapour Line Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 bhaskaran

bhaskaran

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

I want to calculate the vapour line sizing of distillation column.What formula we have to use? Can i use PM = Density x RT to findout the line sizing.Whether anyone having spreadsheet for this purpose. Please do needful.

Thanx
Bhaskaran.r

#2 Sarmad

Sarmad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

Dear bhaskaran,

I think instead of using formula for the design of vapour line size you should click the link below. I think it would help you alot.

http://www.vatran.co...ch/NWVAPLN.html

Regards,

Sarmad Nazir Ahmad

#3 Guest_sunilchaudhari_*

Guest_sunilchaudhari_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:31 AM

Dear bhaskaran,

You have to design vapor size from pressure drop calculation. Minimum pressure drop is desired but it has to confirmed based on size of pipe vis a vis pressure drop available. Maximum line pressure drop has to be 10% of line pressure. For pressure drop calculation many software are available.

You can visit following site and download a limited version of software. This software is to calculate pressure drop for calculation of compressible and non compressible fluids both and gives good practical values.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/

Regards,
Sunil

#4 mabu

mabu

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Bhaskaran

Check this site could be helpfull for engineers.
http://www.mycalcula...chem/index.html

regards

#5 abhi_agrawa

abhi_agrawa

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Bhaskaran

Line sizing has (in my opinion) two very important criteria:
1) Pressure drop : As it has already been said, maximum pressure drop should not exceed 10% of line pressure, however, this has also to be checked against the allowed pressure drop also. Allowed pressure drop is the maximum available pressure drop. Let us say, you are sizing the vapour outlet from a distillation column. It is desired to operate the top of the column at some pressure and the reflux drum at some other pressure. The difference in these pressures is the allowed pressure drop for this circuit. It is important that the line pressure drop be checked against this.
2) Velocity: Due to erosion corrosion, in some applications, then allowed velocity is restricted. some people insist on a maximum allowed vapour momentum (represent by the Fs factor). You should check this requirement also. In vacuum service, usually the velocity of vapor is quite high, and then it is important to check against sonic velocity also.

Hope this helps,
abhishek

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

maximum pressure drop should not exceed 10% of line pressure

As i know, in compressible flow lines there is no above mentioned limitation for pressure drop, but if we want to use Darcy Equation we must follow that limitation.

Regards