Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Shell And Tube Heat Exchanger Help Need

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 koby.geo

koby.geo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

What happens if the heat loads from shell side and tube side differ 10%. For example shellside:1000000 kcal/hr, tubeside:900000 kcal/hr

#2 manish mahale

manish mahale

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:33 AM

I it your process requirement?
Heat load for Shell & Tube exchanger is function of process fluid properties, operating contions & exchanger geometry. System will not provide varying loads on tube & shell side. It will get balanced itself according to parameters mentioned above.
Correct me if you have another view.
thank you
manish mahale

#3 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

Are you saying that one side needs to heat up by 1E+06 kcal/h and the other needs cooling by 9E+05 kcal/h ???!!??

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

Koby,

As I understood, this is a simply problem to solve. You need 9E+05 kcal/h in order to cool your hot fluid from starting temperature down to desired temperature, and 1E+06 kcal/h to heat your cold fluid from initial temperature up to the target temperature? And you want to combine these streams in a heat exchanger?

#5 process equipment

process equipment

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

i often get some deviation ( 10 to 40 % ) on the heat load as a result if i fix the temp. and heat load. Then i leave the outlet temperature of the cold side blanc.
If the heat load is correct the temp. will be calculated.

Is this a good approach ?

#6 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

I don't understand your question. In a heat exchanger, there is only a limited number of variables, and the energy balance equations. Fundamental mathematics tells you that your degrees of freedom (i.e. the number of variables that you can (must) fix, is equal to the number of variables minus the number of equations.
The steady state energy balance says that Qh (duty hot side) + Qc (duty cold side) = 0 (no accumulation of heat). For single phase cooling (only sensible heat), Qh = mh*cp,h*(Th,in - Th,out). Likewise, the cold side Qc = mc*cp,c*(Tc,in - Tc,out). Here, m is the mass flow rate, and cp is the mass heat capacity. If you fix the mass flow rates and compositions (thereby fixing cp), you can only fix three out of the four temperatures. The 4th temperature is fixed by the energy balance requirement. Likewise, you can fix all temperatures, but then you have to leave one mass flow rate to be calculated. If you specify the exchanger area (A) and heat transfer coefficient (U), then the heat load will be fixed via Q = U*A*LMTD and you can only fix two out of four temperatures (i.e. you will usually leave the outlet temperatures blank.
Any violation of this rule leads to an overspecified or underspecified problem, and an error in the heat balance.

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Bravo, Joerd!

What a great, clear, and succinct response to a confusing query.

Koby:

I, too, have been troubled by not being able to understand what your problem really is. As Joerd has so accurately explained, the path to understanding a heat transfer application lies in algorithmic logic and clear math. Computers – especially simulation programs – are based on this principle. Otherwise, there is no solution.

Can you please explain in detail how it is that you present two (2) values for the heat transfer quantity.
How (or where) do you come up with the shell-side 1,000,000 kcal/hr?

And where does the tubeside 900,000 kcal/hr originate?

Await your clear reply.

#8 aminmeo

aminmeo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

In shell and tube type exchnager the heat transferred by hot fluid should be equal to the heat recievied by cold fluid. So you can simply verify it with the formula Q = mCp deltaT. If you fiund some difference in Qc and Qh there must be some problem in data entry.

#9 omnibus

omnibus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (aminmeo @ Jan 10 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In shell and tube type exchnager the heat transferred by hot fluid should be equal to the heat recievied by cold fluid. So you can simply verify it with the formula Q = mCp deltaT. If you fiund some difference in Qc and Qh there must be some problem in data entry.

My two cent's worth- rolleyes.gif

Shell and tube side heat loads can differ in case heat from the hot fluid is being lost to atmosphere enroute from inlet to outlet, ie not all the heat from the hot fluid is getting transferred to cold fluid.

#10 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Looks like four cents worth to me.
Omnibus, though you are technically correct, practically the amount of heat loss (or gain for cryogenic processes) is normally thought of as being negligable.
Doug