Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hot Oil Jacketing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 srinivasman

srinivasman

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:40 AM

I want solution to one of my problem..
As per normal engineering practice....the condensate drain leg for a steam header shall be provided at regular intervals of 30m.
I have a doubt regarding the the hot oil tracing system. We are using therminol 66 as a heating medium in jacketed lines to heat the process fluid.
I want to know whether there is any rule of thumb, which specifies the minimum length after which the hot oil return has to be taken out.

I would be glad if anyone of you answer my question....

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

First and foremost, I can’t see where you have a problem. You haven’t stated any problem; you simply ask a question – and a very vague question.

You state the familiar practice of furnishing steam condensate drip legs every 100 feet – which is fine – but you fail to state what a condensing heat vapor fluid has in common with your liquid recirculating heating fluid. If you are inferring that - like steam condensate - the Therminol has to be evacuated from the heating circuit at some specified distance of flow trajectory, you are very, very wrong and completely off the logic track of heat tracing a line.

A liquid heating fluid such as Therminol or Dowtherm never has to be “taken out” of its heating circuit until it has reached the end of its effective process heat transfer duty – at which point it is recirculated (in its entirety) to the heating source. There is no “purging” or “taking out” of the fluid. Of course, if you want to take a sample or, perhaps, purge a small quantity if you suspect decomposition, then you are free to do so. But under normal design conditions one is never expected to remove the circulating heating medium from its normal course of flow.

I hope this addresses your concern or understanding.