Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Company Options

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jairaj

jairaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

hey guys, just as a general check, which company would you prefer to work for or be part of.
KBR, a leading engineering and construction company or nestle, the leading company with food and beverages or eskom, a leading electricty supplier! (as a chemical engineer)

#2 Rees_101

Rees_101

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

That would depend on what industry you have most interest in and what part of 'chemical engineering' you would like to be employed to do; be it process design, commissioning, plant troubleshooting etc etc. There are many factors that should go into your career choice

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

Don't forget to consider employment stability. I've worked in the E&C business for many years (actually decades) and am now a cynical, disappointed worker of convenience. I've gone from an idealistic kid out of college expecting to join a professional company and stay with them for my whole career (as long as I was competent and hard working) to someone who's seen hundreds of top notch engineers thrown by the wayside. The E&C business (KBR for one) is in the business of selling engineering manhours; when the market for the commodity they sell drops off, they'll drop you like a hot potato. At least in an operating company, you are (hopefully) seen as the solution to their problems, and able to directly contribute to their bottom line.
Just one person's viewpoint,
Doug

#4 Doggert

Doggert

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

I agree with Doug completely - if you have the opportunity, work directly for one company as opposed to being shopped around by an E&C.

I worked for an E&C company directly out of college, and was lucky enough to get out and with a chemical company after about 1.5 years of work. Granted, the company I jumped to ended up folding - but that experience helped me land my next two positions, and I am now in a much better position with a much more stable company that respects its employees and appreciates contributions.

When they run out of things for you to do (and likely, they will), you'll be gone.

I vote for one of the other two.