Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Dynamic Simulation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

Hi friends

i am working on dymnamic simulation model, I develop model for it but I am facing problem for tuning of control valves, Can you suggest the method for tuning of valves on hysys.

#2 Guest_jub40p_*

Guest_jub40p_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (mahendra kadao @ Apr 18 2008, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi friends

i am working on dymnamic simulation model, I develop model for it but I am facing problem for tuning of control valves, Can you suggest the method for tuning of valves on hysys.

HI
Do you mean tunning the controller? you can do that automatically with the autotuner, if you mean to select a valve CV, then it will rather depend on your application

Daniel

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Refer to HYSYS tutorials, chapter "Dynamic Modeling" for complete information. Everything is already explained there.
Also take a look at http://www.expertune...s.html#BasicPID to see in more details what are you looking for.

Regards,

#4 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Dear,
Addition the above comments you can vary the controller's tunning parameters and check for the effect on the control by putting the strip-chart for every controller with PV,SP and OP graphs. This merely depends on the operational experience that is what should be the step change, step responce and so many. I had the same problem with the dynamics that there was no stability in the control with the reason of not having the best configuration of the controller tunning parameters so along with the document given by Aspen tech for the dynamics I asked Aspen tech for further assistance in selecting the tunning parameters they gave me the link to download the article and one presentation in which they have shown how to use the IMC design parameters in Hysys to get the right controller tunning parameters. I hope you can even download it from the support website of the Aspen tech.

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for reply
Mk

#6 Steve McGahey

Steve McGahey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (mahendra kadao @ Apr 21 2008, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for reply
Mk

You'll find that in simulation land, you can get away with K=0.5, Ti = 0.1 for a lot of your control loops. Some will have to be tuned after this depending on your control objective (e.g. there are optimal tunings), but in terms of getting a stable response for a lot of things like LIC, TIC and PIC, this will do the job.

When dealing with LIC's you may want to dampen out the flow variations into/out of the system by using the capacitance of a vessel. Then, you may want to decrease the K (try K=0.1), and increase the Ti (try Ti=0.5). I know lots of people talk about using K=5, Ti=5, and other such high-Ti&K combinations, but I'm never getting decent results with them.

When dealing with SIC's, you may need to vary the tuning parameters depending on the inertia of your rotating equipment. High inertias and aggressive tunings (eg high Ki, small Ti) may lead to substantial setpoint overshoots.

Oh, and very important to remember - your Ki is dependant on your PV range. Ki=5 and (PVmax-PVmin) = 100 is essentially the same as Ki=1 and (PVmax-PVmin) = 20. So, make sure your controllers have sensible PV ranges.

ABBREVIATIONS
TIC = temperature controller
SIC = speed controller
LIC = level controller
PIC = pressure controller

#7 linda_pro

linda_pro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:58 AM

Hi there,