Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Why Chemical Engineering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Tatum_*

Guest_Tatum_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

I'm in college now, I'm taking Chemistry 1A and I'm starting to really like chemistry now. I wanted to ask all the chemical engineers that visit the board "why did you want to become a chemical engineer?" I always here how scientist were really interested in their field when they were kids but I'm older and I just started having an interest in chemistry. Do you think I could be just as successful as someone who was into chemistry when they were a kid?

#2 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 12:47 PM

Tatum:

I see no reason why your age would be a hindrance to your career (assuming that you are not over 40 ... which might impact on your ability to find a job).

But I want to make clear that inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry are not the major parts in a chemical engineering education. Chemical engineering students will have courses dealing with various equipment (distillation towers, filters, pumps, heat exchangers, compressors, evaporators, etc., etc.). So you should have a bent for working with mechanical equipment.

As a chemical engineering student, you will also have courses in thermodynamics, kinetics, lots of mathematics, environmental technology, and many more. So don't think that liking chemistry is the main requirement ... it is not.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it alot. I'm 26 and I know I have a long road ahead of me if I pursue a chem eng. career ( especially if I go for a masters/ph.d). I assume you are a chemical engineer, if so, how do you feel about the field in general and everything you've learned?

#4 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:27 AM

Tatum:

The most important thing about a working career is enjoy the work that you do.

I worked as a chemical engineer for 50 years (the last 20 as an independent consultant) and I enjoyed it very much.

Regards,