Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Columns

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Nick Howard_*

Guest_Nick Howard_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:36 AM

1)How many control loops would be recommended for a de-propaniser column with a propane and i-butane/n-butane feed operating at 13 bar, and how do I specify them?

2)What sort of plant safety specs would anyone recommend for a plant including the above column and processing a crude oil feed?

3)Is there any established method for the general design of double pass sieve plates?

4)Is there a rule of thumb for the range of increase to minimum reflux?

#2 mbeychok

mbeychok

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:31 PM

Nick:

(1) As a minimum you need to control the tower feed flow rate, the overhead reflux flow rate, the column pressure, the liquid level in the ovehead reflux drum, and the heat input to the
bottom of the tower (e.g., steam to the reboiler).

(2) You asked for safety specs for a plant including your depropanizer and proccessing a crude oil feed. To me, that means you are asking for the safety specs on an entire oil refinery. That would require volumes to answer completely.

(3) I don't know ... perhaps others will respond to this question.

(4) The actual reflux required for any distillation depends on the desired product recovery percentages, the desired composition of the recovered products, and the number trays in the tower. Therefore, how much reflux is needed (over and above the minimum reflux) has too wide a range to have a "rule-of-thumb".