Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cryogenic Air Separation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hey,

This topic has to do with cryogenic air separation, which is our final year design project in Chemical Engineering. We are separting air that contains N2, O2 and Ar to a purity of 99.9%. In the process we have 6 major units which are 2 Linde Columns, 3 distillation columns and a combustion reactor. The 2 Linde colums (a lower and an upper column) primarily create a high purity N2, the 3 distillation columns help to create high purity O2 and high purity Ar and a combstion reactor (which is before the Ar distillation column). The combustion reactor simply removes and water in the stream by reacting O2 with H2.

We are using the program VMGSim to simulate the design. The first thing that VMGSim prompts you is to decide what property package to use (i.e. the equation of state). The property package can be specified in two ways 1) by specifying 1 thermodynamic model or 2) specifying 1 vapor EOS (advanced model) and 1 thermodynamic model. My first question is what EOS do we use to model a cryogenic process (which requires temperatures as low as 78K and pressures as high as 9atm)? I have read many different models that are used and not sure which is the most accurate (ie. one source specified the vapor EOS being Peng-Robinson and the thermodynamic model being NTRL, while another source only specified the thermodynamic model being BWR (Benedict-Webb-Rubin)).

Any help on deciding what EOS to use, would be much appriciated. As well, if any one has any helpful info on Linde Columns, it would be really helpful towards our design project. If you require any additional information, please let me know

Thanks,

TA

#2 ari

ari

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

hope this information will help you :
http://www.chemsep.c...asebook_ASU.pdf