Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Required Relief Flow Rate Throuh Device

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Guest_Karamat_*

Guest_Guest_Karamat_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

Dear All,

Your advice is requested regarding my following query:

Please refer the standard API 520 Part I – Sizing and Selection (7th edition, Jan. 2000) item 3.6.2 (Sizing for Critical Flow) – General

Query # 1: In this article there are three equations mentioned as 3.2, 3.3 & 3.4, can we use any of these three equations for effective discharge area for critical flow? if not then what is the criteria of selection among three?

Query # 2: In equation above referred equations “W” is referred as required flow through the device in kg/hr. and “V” is referred as required flow through device. Value of “W” is taken as 24,260 kg / hr. in the example 3.6.2.2 and it is assumed that it is in the given data.

My question: How one can know the required flow rate through the device, which will enable one to put in the equations referred above. I also tried to get my answer from the standard but not succeeded.

Looking forward for your expert opinion regarding above.

Regards

Karamat

#2 Guest_Ben Thayer_*

Guest_Ben Thayer_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:44 AM

With regards to your Q-1, the three equations are variations on a theme. Given that the mass is a function of the volume and temperature and pressure for a gas, one equation is using W for the mass flow rate and the others are using V for the volume flow rate.

With regards to Q-2, you need to study the rest of the API documents, e.g., API 520 parts I and II and API 521 to know the whole story. Together they will give you a good idea of the different scenarios and calculation methods. A classic case is going to be fire relief. You need to know the heat flux and the properties of the material to estimate/calculate/determine the mass or volume you need to relieve. Then you can use that number to calculate the relief device size.

you have a lot of reading and studying to do!