Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Orifice In Vertical Run

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Nikunj Gangar

Nikunj Gangar

• Store Customers
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

Dear Sirs,

I recently came across a very tricky scenario in a plant visit. Air is being purged into reactor. The rate of air flow has to be estimated. Orifice is installed in the vertical line. and the water manometer shows a difference of 6 cm. The drawing of the case is attached.

Attached File  air flow_vertical orifice.xls   101KB   29 downloads

How does one estimate the air flow rate. Air temp is 200 deg. C.

How to estimate the Y factor (expansion factor) and also how to guess the orifice co-eff??

Regards,

Nikunj

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

Dear Sirs,

I recently came across a very tricky scenario in a plant visit. Air is being purged into reactor. The rate of air flow has to be estimated. Orifice is installed in the vertical line. and the water manometer shows a difference of 6 cm. The drawing of the case is attached.

Attached File  air flow_vertical orifice.xls   101KB   29 downloads

How does one estimate the air flow rate. Air temp is 200 deg. C.

How to estimate the Y factor (expansion factor) and also how to guess the orifice co-eff??

Regards,

Nikunj

Hi
It is not a good practice(GP) to install an orifice meter on vertical line. The GP is to install on horizontal line with upstream and downstream straight length that meet minimum criteria.

I have some note for flange tap orifice meter calculation that I prepared for training of young graduate engineers. Please refer attached note. Unfortunately, I have not fully completed the note as you can see the Table for expansion factor is not included. Nevertheless, it gives you some idea on how to go about in computing flowrate for gas and liquid as well.

Good Luck.

Attached Files