Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fluid Mechanics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rielleo

rielleo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:58 AM

raw water is pump at 57767 I/hr
the raw water is treated using 2 chemicals, chemical A and Chemical B
Both of the chemicals was diluted in 2 separate chemical tanks with capacity of 40 I each
the chemical is pump using a piston pump and the capacity of the pump is 50ml/min
From the JAR test, chemical needed to be used to treat the water is 40 ppm chm A and 0.2 ppm chm B
at 6.50 am every day, a sample of treated water was taken by the operator and tests it to determine the amount of dissolved particles.
at 7.00pm every day, the chemicals were prepared by the operator by diluting the chemicals with water inside the tank
result from the test for the treated water shows that it is not meeting the standard even though the amount of the chemical used for the day is strictly followed.
determine the possible problems of the system and make recommendations for each of the possible problem.
can anyone tell me whats the real problem of this question?..
thank you

#2 Robert W

Robert W

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

The probelm statement states, that you are trying to treat a water stream with 2 seperate chemicals (Chemical A and Chemical B ). Chemical A and B are diluted in two seperate tanks to a concentration of 40 ppm and .2 ppm (respectively) and then pumped into the main stream. The problem is that the water is not being treated properly.

To solve this problem I suggest that you do the following:

1. Make a simple flow sketch of the process. This will allow you to visual see what is going on.
2. Perform a mass balance on the system and determine the concentration needed for the 2 chemicals in the two 40 L tanks, to get to a concentration of 40 ppm and .2 ppm in the 57767 L/hr.

Doing those two things will lead you to what the operator is doing wrong.