Latest Content
Latest Community Postings
Recent Blog Entries
Community Downloads
ChExpress Blog
Ankur's Tech Blog
Community Admin Blog
Energy Efficient Hot and Cold Water
Electrical Process Tomography
Biodiesel: The Road Ahead
Methanol Plant Capacity Enhancement
Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers: Preliminary Design
Compressor Surging Under Control
Plant and Equipment Wellness, Part 1: Observing Variability

Share this topic:

banner2.gif (6526 bytes)

A Visit to Australia's First Fuel Cell

    Australia's first fuel cell, situated in the Australian Technology Park outside of Sydney, is the first commercial fuel cell installed in Australia.  The fuel cell uses methane (natural gas) passed through a steam gas reformer as a source of hydrogen and air as an oxygen source.  It utilizes phosphoric acid as an electrolyte.  The cell is used to produce water as well as DC power.
    The steam gas reformer releases carbon from the natural gas as CO2 and sulfur is scrubbed from the gas.  Recycled hydrogen (not converted in the cell) is used as an energy source in the reformer.  The fuel cell reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 68%.

aussycell.jpg (81751 bytes)
Australia's First Commercial Fuel Cell

   The fuel cell has a 40% thermal efficiency and a 40% electrical efficiency for an overall efficiency near 80%.  The hot water (at 650C) will be used by a nearby hotel.  The electricity output is rated at 200 kW and is backed up by a diesel generator.  The fuel cell has a life expectancy of about 20 years.  An extensive cell stack overhaul is required after 5-7 years.  Filter cleaning is required every 3 months.  The cell is constantly monitored remotely by the manufacturer.  The manufacturer performs daily diagnostic check on the cell to ensure smooth performance.

smalllogo.gif (4001 bytes)

  • Stay up to date on new content
  • Post questions and answers in our forums
  • Access downloads and attachments
  • Read member blogs and start your own blog
  • Connect with members via our friends feature
  • Receive and post status updates