Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

To Art Montemayor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_ahboon_*

Guest_ahboon_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:00 AM

Dear Art Montemayor,
sorry for bothering u once again, i still got few questions:

in methanator design, i need to consider reactor size by reaction equation and space velocity, pressure drop across bed, weight of catalyst, mechanical design, material construction, operating consideration and environmetal issues.

then can u suggest that what else do i need to consider in chemical design?

thanks

regards smile.gif

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:28 AM

ahboon:

You left out the following design criteria:

1. SAFETY. I consider safety the most important criteria and the primary concern in any engineer's design. I classify it as the number one issue and I place environmental concerns under Safety. Issues such as personnel protection (i.e. insulation, handrails, ladders, platforms, lighting, etc) should always be of concern in materials of construction, operability, and mechanical design. Equipment and process Fire Protection is included here. Proper over-pressurization protection should be done, complete with PSV calculations and piping according to code(s). All the possible, credible over-pressurization scenarios, including the Fire scenario, must be considered and designed for. Safety alarms and interlocks should be clearly explained and pointed out. Electrical classification areas should be identified and listed.

2. Economics. Capital and Operating Costs should also be a design issue. Factors such as considering standard, seamless pipe as cylindrical vessel components together with standard ellipsoidal heads are more economical and practical instead of rolling a steel plate, seam-welding it, and using a welded hemispherical head. Sometimes stainless or fiberglass material on items such as platform grating and ladders will save valuable process downtime and production product when corrosion repairs are considered.

3. Insulation. Insulate equipment according to heat conservation (Economic) and personnel protection needs (Safety).

4. Equipment location and orientation. Locate and place equipment in safe, accessible and operable location.

5. Equipment protection. Prime, paint, and protect equipment from environmental and process corrosion. Be sure to include corrosion allowance on Specification Sheets when specifying all equipment.

I hope this helps you understand what a Process and a Project Engineer must consider while designing and constructing process equipment.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX