Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Two Calculation Spreadsheets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

Dear forum members,

This forum is a boon for all chemical engineers and with icons like Art Montemayor and Chris Haselgo at the helm of affairs. I feel I should be returning to this forum little of what I know and hence I am uploading two spreadsheets.

One spreadsheet is about combustion calculations and other is about compressibility factor z using the Redlich-Kwong equation of state.

Would appreciate comments, if any.

Cheers to all fellow chemical engineers.

ankur2061.

Attached Files

#2 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Ankur!

One comment I have is the following: on the combustion spreadsheet you write:
"H2 = weight fraction of Hydrogen in Solid/Liquid fuel" and similar O2 for oxygen. My suggestion is to write "H" and "O" i.s.o. "H2" and "O2" since we are dealing with chemically bonded hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not with hydrogen or oxygen gas.

#3 jebi

jebi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi Ankur

The excel sheets you have uploaded are not accessible anymore. Could you please update the links?

Thanks
Jeb

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Jeb:

I tried downloading Ankur's Workbooks and they both are accessible.

You either must be doing something wrong, or you are blocked out where you are located - which I can't imagine.

Try again by clicking on the hyperlink to both files and following the normal instruction box to save or open.

Good luck.

#5 luuquocdai

luuquocdai

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Attached files are Z calculation tools which base on some equations:SRK, RKB, RK, PR.

Attached Files

#6 jebi

jebi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Art Montemayor,
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, I still have problem downloading those files, while I was able to download new files uploaded by luuquocdai.

luuquocdai,
Thanks a lot for sharing those files. They are very useful.

Actually, I am trying to calculate z and then Vm for a pure gas (methane for the moment) for large amount of data (p and T). I prefer not to use software or charts. Apparently for the two- and three-parameter EOS I will need to use 'solver' or 'goal seek' in excel to do the calculations for every p and T. So I am using the following virial equation which is more straightforward and is not implicit. And since the gas is pure I think there shouldn't be any problem with the accuracy.

I will appreciate any commnents on this.

Thanks
Jeb

Attached Files

#7 luuquocdai

luuquocdai

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thanks jebi for your contribution.

#8 kybele39

kybele39

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Dear Ankur,

For the same reason, I would like to share my two cents with all forum members in your post. Your posted spreadsheets are related all what we do behind the computers in the field of heat transfer and combustion is the very first basic step indeed.

I would like to post in here basic calculation of the heating values of fuel gases in Btu/lb and Btu/scf. Plus the molecular weight of a specific fuel gas. These values are always discussed between engineers between the companies at least I came across.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Kybele

I also attached the combustion constants from Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook

Attached Files

#9 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

All,

It is wonderful to share and I am happy that everyone is trying to contribute something or the other. When I saw the different z-factor calculation spreadsheets using different EOS (RK, PR, SRK) it reminded me that I have a spreadsheet which gives z-factor using all the EOS in a single worksheet. This should prove helpful in having a comparison of all EOS in one sheet. All thanks to Mr. Dennis Kirk.

Regards,
Ankur

Attached Files

#10 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

All,

A new EOS property calculator has been launched at:

http://www.chemsof.com/spreadsheet.htm