Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Simulation Of Vacuum Distillation Column

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chem guy

chem guy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hi everyone!

I am a final year chemical engineering student and working on Lube Refinery's Vacuum Distillation Column as a part of my Final Year Project. I want to simulate vacuum column in HYSYS. Is there any tutorial that could teach me how to simulate a Vacuum Column? Please mention any resource of it.

Thank You.

#2 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

Hi,
The Lube Vacuum Distillation Unit is similar to the Atmospheric Distillation Unit only the difference as the operating pressures. If you give us the background of the project i.e. the cut points of Lube Products, RCO feed distillation, Thru'put, Operating conditions such as Temperature and Pressure and product specifications then we can give some ideas.
If you know the Crude Oil Characterization in the Hysys/RefSys oil manager in Simulation Manager Window, then flow-sheeting is simple. The starting point will be the RCO characterization in Oil Manager, the inputs required will be TBP/D86 distillation, Bulk properties as minimum. Addition to these inputs if you have the data like CCR,Asphaltene, Metal Content then all these should be given as input and for the same you need further excersize i.e. to chop the original crude feed curves for the RCO cut points in order to input these curves for the VDU feed characterization. Once you are through the characterization part, then modeling the flow-sheet is easy if you have the PFD and operating values.
I understand that you have the optimized PFD for the unit and you just want to prepare the Hysys simulation model. Let me know if you have further doubts.