Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Simulation On Hysys

hysys v8 biodiesel simulation learning hysys hypothetical components

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 engr_aamir

engr_aamir

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

HI ALL,

i am working on my project of simulating alkali biodiesel production process on hysys v8. At the beginning of project i.e. when i was adding components i got problem in creating hypothetical components.

1. I could not change the family/class of my hypothetical component from hydrocarbon to inorganic (NaOH*).

2. secondly i know that while creating hypothetical component you have to provide at least molecular weight, normal boiling point and ideal liquid density but the problem is that i don't know where to find the these properties.

------------------------

3. please tell me what are binary coefficients? and how do you estimate them in hysys---plz suggest any book if you couldn't explain it here

guys i know these questions are related to very basics of hysys but the problem is that I ain't a chemical engineer, am mechanical (major)-plz suggest some books for knowing fundamentals of chemical engineering by some good author.

regards

#2 MOHAMMED ISAH

MOHAMMED ISAH

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

HI.. PLEASE AM HAVING CHALLENGE SIMULATING AN ADSORPTION OPERATION USING ASPEN HYSYS..I NOTICED HYSYS HAS NO ADSORPTION COLUMN, BUT WONDER IF ITS POSSIBLE TO BE USED TO SIMULATE AN ADSORPTION OPERATION..AM USING ASPOEN HYSYS 8.0

#3 MOHAMMED ISAH

MOHAMMED ISAH

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

HI ALL

SECONDLY, I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A DESIGN TOPIC :DESIGN OF A METHANOL PLANT FROM CO..I NEED RESOURCE MATERIALS TO START WORK..

#4 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

engr_aamir,

>I could not change the family/class of my hypothetical component from hydrocarbon to inorganic (NaOH*)  real components

you shouldn't, pseudocomponents are *virtual* components where Mw,Tc,Pc,Ac are calculated from a distillation curve and / or density, viscosity etc. data (characterization procedure),

pseudo components and real components are different things, simulators include a database with properties of real components, you can add pseudocomponents with a characterization procedure (most simulators/libraries such as Hysys, Chemcad, Prode, Promax etx. include those procedures)

>2. secondly i know that while creating hypothetical component you have to provide at least molecular weight, normal boiling point and >ideal liquid density but the problem is that i don't know where to find the these properties.

if  you do not know where to find / calculate the properties required by your project better to ask an expert to do the work (I assume it's not a student's question)

>3. please tell me what are binary coefficients? and how do you estimate them in hysys---plz suggest any book if you couldn't explain it >here

simulators typically include many binary coefficients (BIPS), when these are not available you can regress VLE data,

most simulators include a VLE/LLE data regression procedure, I have Prode Properties which includes the procedure, I do not know Hysys.

#5 engr_aamir

engr_aamir

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

@Veteran

thanks for such a detailed reply.

the default family/class in creating hypothetical components is HYDROCARBONS. so do you mean that i create NaOH as hydrocarbon hypothetical compound despite it is inorganic in nature. secondly i have an example file in hysys library in which the hypothetical component is assigned the family it actually belongs.

sorry if i am being too amateur for this forum.

#6 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

probably you need a basic (step by step) example for a specific project and simulator as you do not own the required knowledge to create the project yourself, 

there are many textbooks discussing EOS , VLE, characterization procedures and pseudocomponents etc.

for a general introduction to Chemical Engineering you may start with something like Perry's Chemical Engineers Handbook (available in most libraries) then add more specilized as Phase Equilibria in Chemical Engineering (VALAS) Characteriazion and Properties of Petroleum Fractions (Riazi)  etc. plus textbooks as Applied Process Design for Chemical and Petrochemical Plants (Ludwig) , Distillation Design (Kister) and so on...

DO NOT trust a simulator if you don't have knowledge/experience to validate results.

Edited by serra, 16 July 2014 - 01:12 AM.