Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Aspen Plus Mixture Viscosity Method Help

aspen aspen plus viscosity mixture dippr fortran excel distillation packed radfrac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Tschannen14

Tschannen14

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

I am trying to simulate a packed distillation column using the RadFrac block.  I want to model the separation using NRTL, a Rate-based distillation model, and specified structured packing.  Many of the compounds I am trying to model are not in any Aspen databases and have been User Defined.  To run the Rate-based distillation model, Aspen requires vapor and liquid viscosity.  I have managed to estimate the viscosity for all my compounds and fitted them to the DIPPR model (DIPPR Equations 101 and 102).  However, the model requires an estimation for the mixture viscosity to simulate the separation.  I do not have model parameters for any of the mixture models (Chapman-Enskog-Brokaw-Wilke, Chung-Lee-Starling, TRAPP, Lucas, etc.).  I would prefer to approximate the mixture viscosity by using a mole fraction weighted average (Sum[yi*visci]).  A model such as this does not seem to exist in Aspen for vapor mixture viscosity.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this issue?  I know it's possible to write my own mixing rules, but I'm not sure I will be able to install a Fortran compiler on my computer as it has restricted access.  If this is possible to accomplish using Excel, that might be an option.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

I am not familiar with exactly how Aspen implements different viscosity estimation techniques. I know that many of these estimation methods are based on a mole fraction average with various correction terms. See, for example, this description of Wilke's method: http://profmaster.bl...s-mixtures.html  In these kind of estimation methods, the correct choice of "mixing rule" parameter will result in an "ideal" mole fraction average like you want. Using the above example of Wilke's method, you should be able to show that, if phi(i,j)=1 for all i,j pairs, Wilke's method simplifies to a simple mole fraction average.

I would suggest further research into the exact methods Aspen employs to see which ones will reduce to a mole fraction average with the right choice of mixing rule parameter(s).

Edited by MrShorty, 19 March 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#3 rrozz

rrozz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

Hi there,

The Wilke's method is for estimation of viscosity mixture of gases.

There is also better method of Reichenberg as seen in Properties of Gases and Liquids.

There's unfortunatelly no good method for viscosity of liquids.There's an error of about 5% average.

Some are pretty good as UNIFAC-VISCO or ASOG-VISCO and they base on structural contributions.

but none of these is good for water solutions.

There are also methods like McAlinster (?) that demands 3 parameters or more for accurate correlation, and not many are included in different sources.