Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Recomended Fluid Velocities Through Pipe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 binzee

binzee

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:04 AM

Hello!

I wanted to know recomended velocities of different petroleum products through pipe, especially Kerosene.

Regards

#2 pasquale

pasquale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:13 AM

Hi

For the kerosene the maximum velocity in pipe is 3 m/s, moreover 50-100 m
upsteam a tank or a loading facility the max velocity shall be reduced to 1m/s
because of the risk of static electricity.

This is valid only for kero

Best regards

Pasquale Rome

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

All Chemical Engineering Students:

Attached is a collection of recommended fluid mean velocities through piping.

Please note that these are RECOMMENDED DESIGN values and they come from different sources that had different experiences.

Note that some of the descriptions of the type, state, condition, age, etc. of the pipe(s) and of the fluid can make a marked difference in the correct (or recommended) values. The best way to ensure accurate values is to back them up with personal experience - and that takes years of working.

There is no absolute, 100% accurate answer; you should use discretion, common sense, and good engineering judgment in picking a value. Common sense dictates that you not pick a value for clean, new pipe and expect that it will stay that way for the duration of its installation. It is more than obvious that the value will vary depending on the fluid and the pressure and thermal conditions. Try to design under a conservative basis.

I hope this helps you out.

#4 kumaqal.engr

kumaqal.engr

Veteran Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

I read that recommended velocities differ for suction and discharge line beside this its depends upon the nature of the fluid handled.

For Benzol, Gas oil it's 1.0 - 2.0 meter/sec
For Heavy it's 0.5 - 2.0 meter/sec

Source: Pipe work calculation

#5 pasquale

pasquale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:15 AM

Hi Binzee,

in my reply there is not confusion beetween fps and m/s because for liquid line at pump discharge for me 5 m/s are the value that must never be superseded.

In fact the maximum velocity depends on the line's diameter and on the allowable pressure drop.

So for general process service at pump discahrge i suggest to you to use a mean velocity of 1.5-3 m/s

Pasquale

#6 Arancha

Arancha

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:10 AM

Hello

I am really interested in the collection of recommended velocities but cant´discharge the spreadsheet.
I woul be very grateful if you could upload it again or send it to me by email Aranchaesp@hotmail.com
thnak you very much in advance

Arancha Espadero

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:15 AM

Here it is, one more time.

Attached File  Recommended_Fluid_Velocities.xls   26.5KB   586 downloads

#8 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

I have an idea what velocities I want my liquids to flow at but can someone tell me why???

I mean what's actually stopping us throwing water through a 1" line at 20 m/s??

I suppose ultimately we'll be getting dangerous mechanical stresses on the line but is there anything else.

#9 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

JE:

The "anything else" to fluid velocity through a pipe is fluid pressure drop through the same pipe.

I personally never size piping based on velocity - despite what API 14E states. I always employ the allowable pressure drop to dictate what the resulting velocity will be - unless ordered to do otherwise. It is in this way that I can ensure that the design amount of fluid will get to where I want it to end up at.

Other than noise and vibration (in the case of compressible near-sonic flow), you have errosion to contend with when you exceed certain fluid velocities. You also have the effect of causing spontaneous decomposition in the case of certain, sensitive compounds - such as acetylene.

#10 nadirsha

nadirsha

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

I can t open the excel sheet,

can you please send me by mail: nadirsalu@gmail.com

best Regards

Nadir

#11 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

Hi there:

Check out the eFunda web site at: http://www.efunda.com where one can use free online calculators and see what the pressure loss is for given fluid velocities and properties.

Thanks,

Gordan