Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Carbon Capture And Storage System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hari prasad

hari prasad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

I am currently designing the carbon capture and storage (CCS) system for my final year project. I am having some problems while conducting the Aspen Plus simulation. The nitrogen gas from the flue gas is still present in the absorbed gas (around 20%) even though upon completion of the flowsheet. This affects the purity of carbon dioxide as a product. I have tried manipulating pressure and number of stages in the absorber but it does not work. Please let me know if anyone has any idea about it.

Thanks

#2 hari prasad

hari prasad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Does anyone know about how to recycle the stream after stripper because the regenerated MEA has ions. I could obtain my production rate and purity but recycling the MEA creates problem in Aspen Plus simulation

#3 Manucorpse

Manucorpse

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:51 AM

I think your information is a little mess, would you mind to explain your question with more detail? I mean, you write about nitrogen, MEA and carbon, but i would like to know the relationship between them and their origin in the problem.

#4 hari prasad

hari prasad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

I am designing Carbon capture and storage design using monoethanolamine (MEA) solvent. I have simulated the flowsheet using Aspen Plus. Main concern about my design is I have to obtain 3000 ton/day of CO2 with a purity of 99%. While designing the absorber in Aspen, I had problems initially in order to obtain a purity of 99%. This was due to the presence of nitrogen even though after the absorption process. But now I managed to solve that problem with some adjustments in the operating conditions. The stripping section is for the solvent recovery process by supplying steam to the stripper. The real problem starts when I have to recycle the recovered solvent back to the absorber. There are ions present due to the chemical reaction in the absorber. Anyone who has suggestion/idea about the simulation. Please let me know. Thanks