Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Blanket Gas

produces water storage tank

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 David A.

David A.

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Greetings,

Currently I'm designing a "Produced Water Stoarge Tank", and the client is insisting they would prefer using instrument air for blanket gas.

I proposed using Fuel gas for balnket and Nitrogen for back-up. The storage tank holds produced water that has already gone through water treatment process, in my opinion I think instrument air in the tank can lead to oxygennation of produced water which portends a possibility for an explosive atmosphere in the tank.

The client's arguement is that the Produced water is already treated and the hydrocarbon content will be very low and cannot pose any safety risk. Can compressed instrument air be used as blanket gas? Has anyone come across this concept before, is it a safe process?

I'd really appreciate your expert opinions on this.

Thanks

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

David,

If the HC content cannot pose any safety risk and water isn't a demin one, there is no need to blanket gas; if water is demin one - e.g., for boiler make up - it should be blanketed with an inert gas, e.g. nitrogen.

#3 David A.

David A.

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Fallah,

Thanks for your response. The water isn't demin and HC content cann't pose any safety risk, but I also think the balnket gas can help provide some constant pressure in the tank during pump out to prevent the tank from collapsing.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

David,

Because HC content cannot pose any safety issue, you can provide the protection against tank collapsing by proper free vent to the atmosphere.... 

#5 David A.

David A.

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Fallah, very much appreciated