Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Aspen Edr-Shell And Tube Hx-Velocity Tube Side

edr; shell and tube heat exchanger velocity tube tubes tube side

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Niklas18

Niklas18

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:06 AM

​Hi Forum,

i use the aspen EDR to design my shell and tube heat exchanger and to calculate my costs.

In my results (see the pictures) is the following problem:

My velocity of the tube side change. But usually the inlet velocity of the tube should be the same as the outlet velocity, because the diameter is the same. Just notice that my physical properties are temperature independent (as you can see in the second picture).

So together: My velocity in the tube change

but the Reynolds-number is constant.(picture one)

My density is constant but my flow area change (second picture).

Now i want to know, my the flow area is changing? My tubes have a certain diameter and the diameter from the inlet to the outlet should be constant and not changing.

I hope someone can help me.

I am using Aspen EDR V8.4 but i have also the problem when i used Aspen EDR V.8.8

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture1.PNG

#2 Ahsan67

Ahsan67

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:31 AM

​Hi Forum,

i use the aspen EDR to design my shell and tube heat exchanger and to calculate my costs.

In my results (see the pictures) is the following problem:

My velocity of the tube side change. But usually the inlet velocity of the tube should be the same as the outlet velocity, because the diameter is the same. Just notice that my physical properties are temperature independent (as you can see in the second picture).

So together: My velocity in the tube change

but the Reynolds-number is constant.(picture one)

My density is constant but my flow area change (second picture).

Now i want to know, my the flow area is changing? My tubes have a certain diameter and the diameter from the inlet to the outlet should be constant and not changing.

I hope someone can help me.

I am using Aspen EDR V8.4 but i have also the problem when i used Aspen EDR V.8.8

Dear,

from the above data it seems that this is only due to the difference in flow area , please work on this flow area values manually and then compare with software results, further please share the exchanger layout data i.e no. of tubes, arrangement of tubes, dia, thickness etc

Regards

Reply to this topic