Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Choosing A Fluid Package In Hysys

mercury mercury removal unit modelling simulation engineering

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 processengineer1989

processengineer1989

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hello everybody.

I am trying to simulate a gas processing unit with Mercury in the Gas Feed Stream in Hysys.

My questions are:

- is what is the best Fluid Package to choose for this purpose?

- Since Mercury can't be found ONLY in one form in Natural Gas rigs (Hg, DimethylMercury: Ionic, Organic and non-Organic forms ... ) I would like to simulate these cases in hysys; Problem is that the data base of hysys doesn't contain these compounds; SO WHAT should I do to simulate it??

I attateched a screenShot of the Hysys simulation with Pure Mercury.

Thank you 

Attached Files

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Sarah,

You should forget about simulators for predicting mercury compounds in natural gas. One typically just provides sulfur impregnated carbon in a packed bed to remove it from the gas phase. And, if it is present in the condensate, a separate packed bed is generally installed to treat it.

Bobby

#3 processengineer1989

processengineer1989

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Sarah,

You should forget about simulators for predicting mercury compounds in natural gas. One typically just provides sulfur impregnated carbon in a packed bed to remove it from the gas phase. And, if it is present in the condensate, a separate packed bed is generally installed to treat it.

Bobby

Really!

Because I wanted to verify many configurations for the future Mercury Removal Unit we're willing to install in our Gas processing Plant.

I thought if I change the point where I inject the regeneration Gas back into the unit like I did in the simulation, I could reduce the emount of mercury in the Feed Gas in the entrance so I don"'t need a big Mercury Adsorbant bed in my Plant !

It's just kind of a game! I hope I don"t fall into this trap of wasting my time for an absolute illogical reasoning :s

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

You probably won't find any data to substantiate the results from a simulation. So, you should bite the bullet and proceed with the usual solution. You might get some help from your adsorbent supplier. You will likely have a mercury spec on the condensate so it, too, must be treated through a mercury removal system.

There is considerable risk, brazed aluminum heat exchanger failure, if the mercury is not completely removed. So a small bed that did not perform as expected would need the adsorbent changed more frequently. Don't be a pioneer!

Bobby