Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Isopropyl Alcohol Recovery From Process Gas

pollution control process gas vapor

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SIVAMOORTHY

SIVAMOORTHY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Hi everyone, 

I want to remove IPA, which is in vapor form, from process gas. 

Can anyone suggest me a method to remove the IPA. I have read that water can be used as solvent and it can be contacted with process gas in opposite direction through packing material. However, In this case, the water consumption is more because of using the water at only a single pass. So, Can anyone suggest me for re-circulation of water after the treatment using a economical method. Otherwise, Could you suggest me any other method to remove the IPA from process stream.

Thank you... 

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

There are a number of options.  A wash column with water where you recirculate the water to minimize water use will work.  Add fresh water to the top of the column to provide the polishing step.  

Another option is to cool the gas stream until the IPA condenses.  However, this may require very low temperatures to achieve the trace IPA in the vent.

A third, if the flowrates are not too large, is to adsorb the IPA onto a sacrificial bed, like activated carbon. 

#3 SIVAMOORTHY

SIVAMOORTHY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:51 AM

Thank you very much for your attention... 

The process gas, which contains IPA, has temperature of around 200 degree Celsius. So, it requires more energy to cool the hot process gas if we go for direct condensation of IPA. 

I think, using of activated carbon is also a problem, since it may cause bed fire at 200 degree Celsius. 

Therefore, we can go for using of water wash column with re-circulation. Adding fresh water also consumes more water in each pass.

Is there any filteration method to separate IPA from water... like Reverse Osmosis. 

Could anyone suggest please..

Thank you..

#4 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Removing IPA from water is hard because there is an azeotrope.  There are a number of methods for purifying isopropanol by removing water - but your case has a very dilute IPA.

I would propose simply routing this to a biological wastewater treatment system and let bugs digest the organic.

#5 SIVAMOORTHY

SIVAMOORTHY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Thank you very much...

The process gas has flow rate of 7300 SCFM with 0.4 Litre per minute of Isopropyl Alcohol..

From this, is it difficult to separate IPA..