Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Integral Teg Reboiler-Surge Drum

teg surge drum helical coil in the surge dru

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 suljaga

suljaga

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

Dear all, I really like and appreciate your work here in this forum. I have two questions for the TEG regeneration unit and it would be nice to have some opinions from you. 

At TEG regeneration unit (500000 BTU/h) we use stripping gas system with integral stripping column between re-boiler and surge drum (see sketch in attachment). Design pressure for whole skid is 0,35 barg. Questions are next:

1. Do we need to have: vapour balance line between surge drum and reboiler/ or open vent in the surge drum/ or we do not need neither. I'm actually worried about the pressure profile of the complete system (reboiler, column, stripper column and surge drum). 

2. Does anyone  knows, from the experience, typical value (in some range) for overall heat transfer coefficient of "Helical Coil" installed in the surge drum (do we use standard formulas for shell side heat transfer coefficient  calculation ). Using standard calculation we have got overall heat transfer coefficient very low-velocity from the shell side is to low. This helical coil is somethimes used in the small unit instead lean/reach glycol HE. Unit is designed for rich TEG flow rate =0,9 m3/h with maximum 6%mas of water in the rich TEG inlet.I know that I didn't give you enough information to do some calculation but I would like to hear your general opinion.

Best regards

Attached Files

Edited by suljaga, 06 June 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Suljaga:

I don't know what you are trying to do because you don't explain yourself well.  Your sketch is also deficient and needs details and identification of flows.  You have obviously not generated the sketch for this post, but rather just copied some attempt at drawing a flow diagram.  It is hard to follow and next to impossible for identifying what is being done.

To answer your questions:

1. I can't tell if you need a vapor balance line because your drawing is not clear nor a P&ID.  If you want to identify piping and its needs, you need a P&ID.  Read my comments in the attached Excel workbook.
  2. I can't guess at a "U" for the coil if I don't know what fluids are flows and at what conditions.  I need specific, detailed information.

Attached Files