Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Interpret Hetp From Rate-Based Simulation?

hetp packed tower

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 victornassau

victornassau

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:49 AM

Hello,

I want to understand better the physical meaning of the height equivalent to a theoretical plate(HETP) calculated from rate-based distillation. I'm using Aspen Plus to evaluate different packings for a glycol separation. My goal is to get the most efficient packing to minimize the height, as I need 80 theoretical stages. As input I give the packed height, say 4m per section and I'm using 8 sections. As a result of the simulation I have a chart showing the HETP per stage, for example the HETP plot attached. In this example, the median value is around 0,54m. Does that mean the total packed height I need is 80 x 0,54 = 43,2m instead of the 32m in the input?

I got confused when I was studying with the book "Separation process principles : chemical and biochemical operations / J. D. Seader, Ernest J. Henley, D. Keith, Roper.—3rd ed.". In example 12.2, page 466, they simulate a trayed tower, with 20 trays, 0,5m tray spacing, total 10m, and calculate a Murphree efficiency between 0,73 and 0,79, depending on the component, and state that " the 20 trays are equivalent to approximately 15 equilibrium stages". Fine. But then in example 12.3 they do the same separation using a packed tower. With 3 sections, one of 13m and 2 of 6,5m, and calculate a HETP around 0,5m, depending on the component. But that gives an equivalent of 13 theoretical plates for the same separation. I don't understand this difference. Since the trayed tower has 10m and the packed, 26m, the choice is for the trayed tower, correct?

Thank you,

Attached Files

#2 sonu19921103

sonu19921103

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:37 AM

Hi Victor,

I think your understanding in the "Does that mean the total packed height I need is 80 x 0,54 = 43,2m instead of the 32m in the input?" is correct. 

You need to provide packing height equivalent to 80 theoretical trays and one Tray is equal to 0.54 m. A Rough calculation can be done from the Norton Correlation for HETP.

Norton's Correlation : ln HETP = n - 0.187 ln + 0.213 ln µ.

https://www.scribd.c...ary-Calculation

Best Regards

Sonu Singh

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:49 AM

Hi ,

I've attached for you and others some literature about packing and column .

Correlation underneath for structured packing (BX as an example)

https://www.scielo.b...YyZFP/?lang=en#

Consider the calculator attached to support your investigation .

Breizh