Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv Adequacy Check For Plant Capacity Increase

psv adequacy check

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Shakil

Shakil

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:05 AM

Hi all,

I am currently performing Study to operate our Plant at higher capacity than design.

Design Factor= 120 %

DBN Factor = 130%

During this study when I did Mass balance, I came to know that for 10 % increase in Flow capacity I have sufficient margin in Pump & also Same control Valves can be used with available margin.

Also for PSV having Governing case as Fire, the Wetted Surface remains same, hence no need to check adequacy.

As I will not Change any Pump Or Control valve for high capacity operation & the Fire Case also don't needs to be revaluated being same wetted surface, do I need to do  PSV adequacy check in this condition?

Your Quick reply will be highly appreciated.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

What are you changing?

#3 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:38 AM

Hi Shakil,

Since, the flow in the system is changing, it is worth while to check all the non fire cases.

Regards

#4 PhilippM

PhilippM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:38 PM

Hi Shakil, 

while the Fire Case is the governing case right now, this may change when the plant capacity is increased.

Typically a bigger relief valve orifice area for the Blocked Outlet scenario is needed.

If the existing relief valve calculations are documented properly, it shouldn't take long to figure out if the relief cases need to be re-evaluated.

Kind regards

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

I am currently performing Study to operate our Plant at higher capacity than design.

Design Factor= 120 %

DBN Factor = 130%

During this study when I did Mass balance, I came to know that for 10 % increase in Flow capacity I have sufficient margin in Pump & also Same control Valves can be used with available margin.

Also for PSV having Governing case as Fire, the Wetted Surface remains same, hence no need to check adequacy.

As I will not Change any Pump Or Control valve for high capacity operation & the Fire Case also don't needs to be revaluated being same wetted surface, do I need to do  PSV adequacy check in this condition

Shakil,

Please upload a simple sketch of the system you described; it will help much more to provide a proper and better response to your query...