Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Amine Stripper Column Design

amine stripper stripper desorption design amine regenerator acid gas

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Skylar

Skylar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hello everyone, 

I am currently researching more on the design of a amine stripping column but have met some roadblocks. To my best understanding, a stripping column is basically the opposite of an absorption column. However, there are very limited literature and articles on a stripping column design. Therefore, I would like to use this platform to clarify some of my findings through the limited resources. I will be focusing on the design of a multi component stripping column mainly on the removal of CO2 and H2S

1. Mass Balance for Stripper Column

Since stripper is the opposite of absorption, is it correct to say that the mass balance of stripper column will the similar to the absorption. However, I am unsure of the formulas used for a multi component stripper column mass balance.

2. To determine the number of theoretical trays in the stripper column.

I've read through numerous articles and realized that the number of trays in the column usually depends on industrial knowledge. However, is it possible to obtain the number of theoretical trays through the McCabe Thiele method?

3.Sizing of a stripper column

Are there any industrial guidelines on the sizing of a stripper column.

Thank in advance

Best Regards,

Skylar

Edited by Skylar, 20 May 2019 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Skylar:

You state you “would like to use this platform to clarify some of my findings”.  O.K., so what are those findings??  Please be specific.

You state that you are “unsure of the formulas used for a multi component stripper column mass balance”.  What formulas are you referring to?  Where did you obtain them?

The height of an amine stripper column is determined empirically for practical purposes.  I’ve used the McCabe-Thiele method to calculate it in the past and found that the number of stages is very small - around 2 or 3 theoretical stages.

I don’t know what you mean by “industrial guidelines”.  I just told you the design of an amine stripper is determined empirically for practical purposes.  If you would like to discuss those practical purposes, than state so.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

hi ,

Consider this literature to support your work .

Good luck

Breizh

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

In addition to my previous answer , you may consider the link attached :

http://www.gas-compr...or-amine-system

Another document to consult is GPSA engineering data book.

Good luck

Breizh