Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv For Tube Side Of S&t Exchanger, Fire Case

psv tube fire heat flux

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dschorr

Dschorr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have a condenser for a platformer stabilizer using cooling water on the tube side.  The condensers are near grade and are in a fire zone.  The shell side normally operates at about 160 psig.  I would expect most of the shell side volume to be vapor and minimal liquid as the condensers free drain.

I am suggesting that the tube side has a fire case and that we should use the surface area of the entire vessel for the heat flux.  Along with the exchanger end, it seems that the vapor on the shell side would easily transfer heat from the fire to the tubes with convective currents as the shell temp will rise quickly (no latent heat to temper it).

Is this approach too conservative.  My client want to only use the area of the exchanger ends.  The difference in PSV sizing is "D" with only ends and "F" using 100% surface area.

i now there is discussion in previous thread of liquids on the shell side heating the tube side in a fire, but the vapor in the shell heating the liquid in the tubes is not a discussion thread i have found yet.

Thank you ahead of time for any assistance in this matter.

Deb S

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

If the tubeside is cooling water I would not provide a PSV for fire case. I'm not sure I would provide one on the shell side either.

Bobby

#3 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

a TRV (thermal relief valve, 3/4"x1") should be enough on CW (tube) side.