Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Inclined Baffle In Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger - Need Advise Pleas

baffle shell and tube

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 MGS RN

MGS RN

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

Hello All,

Myself Goutham and I am working professional in the Shell & Tube exchanger design and have around 5 years experience in this field. We have in house methods of sizing heat exchangers in our company. Recently I designed 1-2 TEMA NEN Heat exchanger with water in both sides. There are 4 exchangers in series and so they are arranged like a 2 x 2 matrix. As the connections in the bottom exchangers comes laterally (from sides), we needed to rotate the partion plate 90deg for the flow alignment with the nozzles. We use 45% cut horizontal baffles in the shell side. My question is should we need to rotate the shell side baffles too inline with the partition plates? Attached picture would explain the issue better. Heating surface is 4 x 480m2. Shell ID is 1.1m.

I hope the problem is explained clear. My thiking is if we dont rotate the baffles aligning with the parition plate, there could be uneven heat trasnfer (shell & Tube side fluid) which could reduce the heat trasnfer coeffecient. Noramlly baffles are not inclined, they are horizontal or vertical? Could there be any issues with the inclined baffles?

Experts. I need your help!  Any further details requied please let me know. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Baffle orientation- Inclined.png

Reply to this topic