Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Maximum Pressure Drop In Packed Bed Reactor

pressure drop catalyst collector packed bed reactor

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 avskaushikchemical

avskaushikchemical

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:58 AM

Dear all,

We are operating a packed bed reactor with liquid phase hydrocarbon. Flow is from top to bottom. As per process design, the pressure drop alowable across the reactor is 2 kg/cm2. The pressure drop is measured by the pressure indicators available at inlet and outlet of the reactor.

Recently, pressure drop increased to 3 kg/cm2. Same was cross checked in field and found to be correct. 

At this condition, is it safe to operate the reactor without any damage to internals.

The outlet collector design says its mechanical load is 5 kg/cm2.

I want to understand what is this mechanical load of outlet collector and also what does it signify regarding the pressure drop across the reactor measured by the pressure indicators.

Is there any limit on the maximum pressure drop that my reactor can be operated with. How is the limit of 2 kg/cm2 fixed as per process. 

Will my catalyst collector be damaged if I cross the 2 kg/cm2 limit?

I am confused with above questions. Request to please help.

Regards,

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:22 AM

If pressure drop increased without a corresponding flow increase, then increased pressure drop indicates there was a physical change inside your reactor. Pressure drop probably won't improve on its own but it may stay the same for a long time or it may get worse. Would a partial obstruction of flow be a safety problem? If not, then monitor the reactor performance and plan your options according to economic analysis and business risk.
Do you know that the catalyst collector is not currently damaged? The pressure drop across the entire reactor is not the same as the pressure drop across individual components of the reactor for which you have no measurements. Many times internal equipment is damaged by transient conditions that are not reflected in a process data historian.