Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

I Can't Converge My Simulation After Adding A New Substance!

simulalions hysys aspen

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 agbosimonne

agbosimonne

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:21 AM

I have a not so simple simulation that aims to produce 2-ethyl-hexene in HYSYS. It's got about 5 recycle loops,5 reactors, 4 distillation columns and so on(I can provide the file if necessary)

The system is converged, however upon adding a new substance to the component list, it destabilises the system and it becomes uncoverged in HYSYS. I've tried to remove the recycle loops but still same result. Please I need help!

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:58 AM

Have you examined the physical properties of this new substance to see if it is "well behaved".  Like, vapor pressure vs. T, heat capacity vs. T, density vs. T (or P in vapor phase), etc.  I have encountered substances with issues in their physical property and thermo parameters.

#3 jayari

jayari

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:13 AM

A screenshot of the simulation and the stream table would be helpful. Posting the file would help if anyone with HYSYS access sees this thread.

Are there any meaningful error messages? My best debugging advice is to check one unit operation at a time in a separate file, provided that HYSYS has a good property basis for the particular component.