Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Inbreathing And Outbreathing Vs. H2S Blanketing Gas System

sweep gas blanket gas inbreathing outbreathing sulphur

10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:13 PM

Hi All, 

I am in the process of learning about tank design, specifically a Sulphur tank design according to API 650 with API 2000 venting.

For this design, we need a system to keep H2S levels below explosive limits. I understand these calculations.

However, where I get stuck is: 

a) Why would you choose a blanket gas system over a "sweep gas" system for a sulphur tank design?

b ) is a blanket gas OR a sweep gas system completely separate from the in-breathing/out-breathing calculations for the tank design? If they are two separate calculations, are they two separate systems built into the tank?

c) Do I complete the in-breathing/out-breathing calculations and then design a separate system for the sweep gas system? Is there a good textbook or reference for designing these sweep gas systems?

Thanks for any guidance or clarifications. 

Edited by gusto88, 18 October 2021 - 09:16 PM.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

Consider these 4 documents to support your work ,

H2S is not only flammable , it could lead to fatality .

Good luck, 

Breizh 

#3 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Breizh,

I looked through the documents you sent. I understand the issue with H2S, and I want to make sure I am doing the calculations correctly. 

Still not clear on this item:

b ) is a blanket gas OR a sweep gas system completely separate from the in-breathing/out-breathing calculations for the tank design? If they are two separate calculations, are they two separate systems built into the tank?

Hi,

Consider these 4 documents to support your work ,

H2S is not only flammable , it could lead to fatality .

Good luck, 

Breizh 

#4 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

Are the inbreathing / outbreathing vents completely separate from the "sweeping gas", I think it is, but I want to make sure. 

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

Yes they are separated , inbreathing/outbreathing through a PVRV and sweeping through N2 regulator .

On the document underneath you will find the set up mentioned above .

Good luck

Breizh 

#6 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

Hi Breizh,

Does this article apply to Sulphur tank H2S sweeping as well?

Hi,

Yes they are separated , inbreathing/outbreathing through a PVRV and sweeping through N2 regulator .

On the document underneath you will find the set up mentioned above .

Good luck

Breizh 

#7 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

If we designed a gas sweeping system for a sulphur tank, with a rate of X m3/hour of "sweep gas". Would that X rate of gas be added to the in-breathing and out-breathing? If not, where would these values be added in terms of the tank design?

See our inbreathing and outbreathing values:

Min. out-breathing venting flow rate;        2833 m3/hour     + X m3/hour (sweep gas)?

Min. in-breathing   venting flow rate;         2243 m3/hour    + X m3/hour (sweep gas)?

Emergency venting flow rate;        87492 m3/hour

#8 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

Hi,

I would suggest to consult someone in your organization knowledgeable about Safety, Standard and Code applicable in your area  and/or to hire a contractor to support you .

To me your requirement  is not clear . You need to prepare a PFD /PID together with a process description and the objectives of the project and submit it for review . 

note :

I'm adding documents issued by art Montemayor to support you and others .

https://www.oilandga...ten-sulfur-0001

Good luck

Breizh 

#9 ASalman

ASalman

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:38 AM

Hi Gusto 

I suggest reading this article, you may find it useful. 

A Salman

Attached Files

#10 gusto88

gusto88

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

If anyone is very familiar with these designs, can you explain if the in-breathing and out-breathing rates are affected by the gas flow rates of the sweep gas system? (See above). I read through the provided info but I did not find anything that explicitly answers this.

I am sure someone who is very familiar with these designs, can answer this please?

#11 ASalman

ASalman

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:31 AM

Hi Gus

The inbreathing/outbreathing rates will be affected by what goes in and out of your system e.g. transfers or changes in ambient conditions etc.... I would suggest reading the latest version of API 2000 (or whichever standard your organisation follows) it will state the requirements of inbreathing/outbreathing. Tip - a mass balance of the various scenarios will be essential to your solution.